Grave Yard in Hillsborough

That's the entrance that Syrup is talking about.

Not a nice area - Coopers scrapyard is still there I think, and it's definitely not a good idea to leave the car there.

One idea may be to park either outside the Bassett's entrance or even in the Owlerton Stadium carpark and walk around to the cemetary ?

Bit of a walk, but safer to leave your car there - definitely

The bottom entrance is fascinating, as the traffic lights (although smashed in) still work and change to a pattern to stop the non existant traffic !

this was my bro & i roaming ground in late 46 ,lighting little fires behind the graves at midnight & waiting for the ghosts to raise fm the dead,its seemed a long walk back to Penistone rd at 2in the morn for 10 &11 yr olds.

Hi, I'm a journalism student at the university and I have Hillsborough find some stories. I'm interested in tha grave yard behind the dog track where all that waste land is. Does anyone know anything interesting about it?

If not then if you can think of any other news/ stories about anything weird/ wonderful/ sad or annoying then please let me know.

Would greatly appreciate any information. But i can't work this PM thing out so if responses could be posted to the forum that would be great!

Thanks

Kate xx

I am almost certain that a native american indian was burried in there.

We used to call it boot hill when we were kids. I was in there last year looking for an ancestors headstone while doing my family tree. Its deadly in there (pun intended) and many of the headstones still standing are leaning and in danger of falling over. If you get caught under one of those its curtains (pun intended).

I was up there one Saturday afternoon and was approached by four hoodies who soon scarpered when they saw the cold steel machete I was waving about.

I did email 'friends of wardsend a couple of times and I never got a reply, so don't expect too much help from them.

I did email 'friends of wardsend a couple of times and I never got a reply, so don't expect too much help from them.

Did you find your gravestone ? The monumental inscriptions were recorded by the Sheffield and District Family History Society in the late 70s or early 80s. I helped with it on a couple of occasions.

Not sure where the records are now,- probably Sheffield Archives; worth checking if you're still looking for someone buried there.

Archived