Grave Yard in Hillsborough

Did you find your gravestone ? The monumental inscriptions were recorded by the Sheffield and District Family History Society in the late 70s or early 80s. I helped with it on a couple of occasions.

Not sure where the records are now,- probably Sheffield Archives; worth checking if you're still looking for someone buried there.

No I never found her headstone but the vegatation made it impossible to check loads of headstones, some of them were totally covered. I have the death cert and burial record at St Philips. I know she's in there because St Philips graveyard shut 1857 and she died 1860.

Cheers for the info Greybeard.

• 2 months later...
I think it was someone with Buffalo Bills touring show who died whilst they were here.

Dave..

Having talked to a member of the Friends of the Cemetery I am convinced that the idea that this man (Paul Eagle Star) was buried in Wardsend is a myth.

He was injured in Sheffield. By the time he died the Show had left Sheffield. The body of this man was taken to Brompton in London where there was a more permanant encampment from which they were travelling to different parts of the country for the shows. He was buried in a cemetery there. Apparently, in the last few years his remains were taken back to America and interred in a reservation there.

There is a reference to these events here: an article which is about references to 'red indians' in the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Hugh

No I never found her headstone but the vegatation made it impossible to check loads of headstones, some of them were totally covered. I have the death cert and burial record at St Philips. I know she's in there because St Philips graveyard shut 1857 and she died 1860.

I am not a member of the Friends, but with their permission I have been working to make some better plans of the site. If you would like to post or pm me the names and dates you were looking for I will do my best to locate them in the cemetery.

Hugh

I am not a member of the Friends, but with their permission I have been working to make some better plans of the site. If you would like to post or pm me the names and dates you were looking for I will do my best to locate them in the cemetery.

Hugh

That's very kind of you and much appreciated Hugh.

She died under the name Sophia Holden, age 56, on the 20th November 1860 and was buried 25th November 1860. Her burial number at St. Philips is 1475. John Livesey performed the ceremony.

On her burial sheet there are two numbers and one letter which I presume is her burial plot/location.

The numbers are (probably) '7' and '64' and the letter may be the old style of writing for the letter 'Q', but it looks like a '2'. I can't post the sheet here though because of copyright.

Many thanks,

Regards,

Andy

I haven't worked out what those single digit numbers are :confused: , but the reference does sound like Q64 - those Q's are very like '2's! I assume that letter is above the address in the entry.

I know where plot Q64 is. As far as I know there isn't a gravestone. I noted a gravestone on grave Q66, and one on Q89, which would be directly behind 64, but not one on 64 itself. But, I don't have a full plan of that section yet and there is always the possiblilty of low level or fallen stonework in the undergrowth.

There are no HOLDENs in the index to the Monumental Inscriptions published by the Family History Society, but again that index is incomplete (they missed lots of inscriptions).

I will take a closer look next time I am in the cemetery.

Hugh

• 1 year later...

Archived