Giving people a goal in life

Home ownership in England at lowest level in 30 years as housing crisis grows.

House ownership used to be thought as a positive, but it is going down.

Is there a way to bring it back up again?

Does everyone accept it was a positive?

I am hoping to buy my house this year, and it is raising my spirits.

I did read that the minimum income for everyone is done to give everyone a stake in society, but not sure how that would work.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/aug/02/home-ownership-in-england-at-lowest-level-in-30-years-as-housing-crisis-grows

You can only buy a house nowadays if a relative dies and leaves you a stack load of cash or you win the lottery.

Affordable housing doesn't exist

That's not true. Whilst I accept that there are large swathes of the country where housing is unaffordable to most - there are still parts of the country (including parts of Sheffield) where someone on an average income could afford a property.

Guest makapaka
You can only buy a house nowadays if a relative dies and leaves you a stack load of cash or you win the lottery.

Affordable housing doesn't exist

It's difficult but not impossible if you are in full time work.

Like many people of my age I have a house, but.....who's going to buy it when I die if all these young (ish) folk have no money ?

If the supply exceeds the demand the price of many commodities fall - what's so different about houses ?

The price of land for one, and the costs of materials. The costs of building housing has to be economical (using the current model). Until we can bring down the building costs, we can't increase the supply, and the population isn't decreasing.

---------- Post added 02-01-2017 at 21:58 ----------

It's difficult but not impossible if you are in full time work.

The median household income is under £24k/yr. at 3.5 times earnings, that's £84k. So most houses aren't within the affordability criteria for most people.

The price of land for one, and the costs of materials. The costs of building housing has to be economical (using the current model). Until we can bring down the building costs, we can't increase the supply, and the population isn't decreasing.

---------- Post added 02-01-2017 at 21:58 ----------

The median household income is under £24k/yr. at 3.5 times earnings, that's £84k. So most houses aren't within the affordability criteria for most people.

My old house in staveley was recently sold for that very figure (maybe 4 months back). And it had been done up very nicely too judging by the pics on right move.