Sir Ivan Rogers Resigns.

The point is, that having access to the single market and being a member of the single market are not the same thing. Once Article 50 is triggerred, then the UK can negotiate to have continued access to the free market. For example the UK could say, they are only willing to use the single market on the condition the UK are free to negotiate their own trading arrangements with the rest of the World, there will no longer be any free movement between the UK and the EU and neither the UK or the EU will have to pay any fee, to each other for this arrangement.

Already explained to you there is only one BREXIT and that is complete BREXIT.

Why is David Davis saying that paying for Single Market access is an option then?

According to Brexiteer MP Peter Bone,it's 'outrageous',so it's not the Brexit he wants.

For example the UK could say, they are only willing to use the single market on the condition the UK are free to negotiate their own trading arrangements with the rest of the World, there will no longer be any free movement between the UK and the EU and neither the UK or the EU will have to pay any fee, to each other for this arrangement.
The UK can certainly say that. And probably will, if only to set the scene for the ensuing red tops' outrage, when the EU's negotiation team LOLs off their chairs :D

The UK can certainly say that. And probably will, if only to set the scene for the ensuing red tops' outrage, when the EU's negotiation team LOLs off their chairs :D

Yes this is familiar.

The EU will insist on supremacy over UK law in all manner of matters, including how we generate our electricity, in return for which they will offer to make lots of money selling us things.

It is in fact the UK who have finally seen through this farce of an arrangement and have rejected it.

We shall offer tariff free trade, and agree to make goods we sell to them to their standards as we do with all other export markets. If they have a problem with that, and ask for all manner of daft single market nonsense then more fool them.

At least then there will be somewhere in Europe outside the Euro insanity to piece things together when the entire nutty experiment collapses in a heap.

The EU will insist on supremacy over UK law in all manner of matters, including how we generate our electricity, in return for which they will offer to make lots of money selling us things.
Besides regulatory product compliance as you yourself accept (bit in bold below), they won't, you know.

We shall offer tariff free trade, and agree to make goods we sell to them to their standards as we do with all other export markets. If they have a problem with that
I don't foresee they'd have a problem with that. Long term, it should benefit them (namely, France and Germany, and their satellite manufacturers in EE states) more than the UK.

, and ask for all manner of daft single market nonsense then more fool them.
I do anticipate that, however, when the UK asks for status quo tariff-free access for its services. Which might then start to kaboosh the whole thing, once peeps at street level begin to comprehend the price tag.

I'm highly confident that the EU will be perfectly happy for the UK to have the immigration cake it wants, and I'm at least equally highly confident that the EU will not let the UK eat its economic cake with it come hell or high water.

It's not the EU's fault if the UK stays mired in its delusions of grandeur: the EU27 do not owe the UK a living (and for those minded to argue that the UK is a net contributor to the EU budget, I remind them that the UK is only the 8th's highest contributor per capita to the EU budget out of the 28 ).

Any negotiation is a two-way affair. Those who need reminding about the fact, will be reminded come March and thereafter. Nothing contentious about this, it's plain common sense.

Edited by L00b

Why is David Davis saying that paying for Single Market access is an option then?

According to Brexiteer MP Peter Bone,it's 'outrageous',so it's not the Brexit he wants.

David Davis was only answering a question in the House of Commons. Of course paying a fee is an option, if it was a nominal fee or a peppercorn fee.

Besides regulatory product compliance as you yourself accept (bit in bold below), they won't, you know.

I don't foresee they'd have a problem with that. Long term, it should benefit them (namely, France and Germany, and their satellite manufacturers in EE states) more than the UK.

I do anticipate that, however, when the UK asks for status quo tariff-free access for its services.

I'm highly confident that the EU will be perfectly happy for the UK to have the immigration cake it wants, and I'm at least equally highly confident that the EU will not let the UK eat its economic cake with it come hell or high water.

It's not the EU's fault if the UK stays mired in its delusions of grandeur: the EU27 do not owe the UK a living (and for those minded to argue that the UK is a net contributor to the EU budget, I remind them that the UK is only the 8th's highest contributor per capita to the EU budget out of the 28 ).

I don't see what you think this means "the UK is only the 8th's highest contributor per capita to the EU budget out of the 28". The insertion of the per-capita completely changes the meaning.

There is a massive net cost to the EU of placing trade barriers between themselves and the UK. So the cost argument is nonsense.

There is no need at all for us to pay for access to the EU market. We need not offer money in return for this access as we are offering them something of greater value in return: access for them to the UK market.

There is no need for us to pay for part of the running costs of the EU government, any more than they need to pay for the costs of our government.

The entire "cake" argument is nonsense. We're talking about a bilateral trade arrangement between the UK and the EU. We don't pay them, and they don't pay us. We don't rule them and they don't rule us. They meet our import standards when they sell to us and we meet theirs when we sell to them.

It's all extremely simple. We only have to discuss in which (if any) areas they wish to erect trade barriers following Brexit and whether we will simply accept these or impose other barriers to them in response. If they wish to make it difficult for us to sell financial services, they may have to live with difficulty selling us food and cars. The default for us will be no barriers at all, because that's what we believe in.

Edited by unbeliever

The man who has campaigned to leave the EU and who has a great knowledge of it's workings is Nigel Farage.

I would have thought he was them man to lead our exit campaign.

No. he doesn't have the right temperament, nor any of the required skills of experience. There are plenty of qualified people around who are not afflicted with Europhilia.

David Davis was only answering a question in the House of Commons. Of course paying a fee is an option, if it was a nominal fee or a peppercorn fee.

Ok,then,no need for Mr Bone to go ballastic about what he thought might be part of the Brexit agreement then,fancy Mr Davis saying that and Mr Bone putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.