American GI's during World War 2

I and I

The US gov. is notoriously difficult in giving out such information, largely due to many GI's fathering illegitimate children in the UK who then try to trace them. However, there is an organisation which you should contact, it was set up to help trace GI fathers. Put in 'www.gitrace.org' and they will help.

The only part of Sheffield i heard where some were stationed is the Chapeltown area.

There's a thread here about the US military guide of that time.http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1234273

---------- Post added 11-01-2017 at 22:11 ----------

Theres a bit of information on this thread too. https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1377247&highlight=americans+in+ww2+sheffield.

Hi,

During W.W.II, the nearest U.S. Base/Camp to Sheffield, that I'm aware of, was on the A629 above Penistone (opposite the Scout Dyke Reservoir). Most of the buildings/huts at the camp were cleared right after the War but it's possible some of the hut foundations are still visible.

As far as I remember, it was a transport depot: I never knew if it was U.S. Army or U.S. Army Air Corp. The trucks were used to transport munitions that were brought-in by rail to the smaller ( and quieter) railway stations in the area. I believe Wortley was one such station, although there most-likely were others.

Regards

Sorry, 'I and I', if I wrongly assumed you were wanting to trace a 'missing' father !

Of possible interest, there is a site somewhere giving the locations of former US bases in the UK. There's also an official US govt. film from the time instructing US servicemen how to understand and respect British culture and traditions. There were incidents where segregated black US servicemen, being served in pubs etc., caused serious disputes with white US servicemen, as featured in one of Anthony Horowitz's 'Foyle's War' episodes; the US maintaining segregation right up to the mid 1960's or later(?), despite being sent to fight against such discrimination in Germany !

The only other things I can contribute is the story that the Yanks had never seen an 8-wheel lorry i.e. a British lorry with the 4 front wheels which all turned and steered together. Apparently, they were getting under such lorries to see how they worked.

Let's know what you find.

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 13:13 ----------

Sorry, 'I and I', if I wrongly assumed you were wanting to trace a 'missing' father !

Of possible interest, there is a site somewhere giving the locations of former US bases in the UK. There's also an official US govt. film from the time instructing US servicemen how to understand and respect British culture and traditions. There were incidents where segregated black US servicemen, being served in pubs etc., caused serious disputes with white US servicemen, as featured in one of Anthony Horowitz's 'Foyle's War' episodes; the US maintaining segregation right up to the mid 1960's or later(?), despite being sent to fight against such discrimination in Germany !

The only other things I can contribute is the story that the Yanks had never seen an 8-wheel lorry i.e. a British lorry with the 4 front wheels which all turned and steered together. Apparently, they were getting under such lorries to see how they worked.

Let's know what you find.