Frank Wilson Sheffield communist

I have been reading about prominent Sheffield political activists from the 1930's and the name of a Frank Wilson keeps coming up .

It seems as though Frank was a communist leader at a very young age in our City ,he died in 1933 and his funeral was attended by large crowds .

Frank is buried in Burngreave cemetery and I wonder if any of our local historians have info on his life or why he was so popular.

I tried to find info on an existing thread but some one decided they didn't like it so it got closed.

Edited by samssong

Fom Sheffield Indexers,

WILSON, Frank (Labourer, age 25).

Died at Royal Infirmary; Buried on May 18, 1933 in General ground;

Grave Number 32, Section L1 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.

Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister, G H Fletcher: Removed from Sheffield Parish.

Plot Owner: of . Page No

Wilson's in same grave from 201 Burgoyne Road.

Cheers Retep , in Sheffield photo archives there is a picture of the funeral but not many details as to why Frank should be in the news of the day.

Just had a look ,the photo is from Sheffield newspapers ref no s02954

Edited by samssong

Other newspaper articles don't give much away regarding Frank Wilson's life and activities. He was clearly a keen hill walker, and as a communist he most likely took part in the "mass trespass" on to Kinder Scout in 1932. He died of sepsis - he had a badly infected carbuncle and in those pre-antibiotic days the infection proved fatal.

• 3 weeks later...

Frank was my Great Uncle but sadly as he died so young I never met him. He was my Maternal Grandmothers beloved brother and she informed me he worked in a bakery. He died of sepsis due to infected Dermatitis (according to my Grandmother) - both my Grandmother and Great Grandmother at the time believed it was a work related condition brought about by using flour - not sure how true this is but I do know their request for compensation was rejected.

Franks funeral was attended by Mr Fletcher (also a Communist) of Fletcher's bakery but cannot confirm if he worked for him.

My Grandmother did inform me both she and Uncle Frank went on the Mass trespass due to their love of the countryside but they were both in trouble with their mother for doing so. One of the Landowners, over which land they trespassed that day, was apparently an uncle of theirs - I can only imagine it was the Wilson Snuff Mill side of the family - I know they were related through their fathers side and Frank was exploring this side of their family tree when he died.

Frank is buried in Burngreave Cemetery with his father and siblings. I often visited the grave as a young girl with my grandmother, who I know was very proud of her brother.

---------- Post added 26-01-2017 at 20:22 ----------

Edited by Cruisegirl2

Hi Cruisegirl2 - welcome to the Forum! :).Press reports confirm that an inquest was held into Frank Wilson's death, at which the question of the skin infection being work-related was raised and refuted, but apparently he worked in a foundry.(?). Here is an article from the Sheffield Independent of 17 May 1933.

Frank Wilson

---------- Post added 26-01-2017 at 21:18 ----------

Hi Hillsbro, that is really interesting, I wonder if my memory is a little confused with the Fletcher Bakery connection, ot if he indeed did work in a bakery a few years before and then moved to work in the foundary.

The family grew up on Burgoyne Road and I know they owned a coal delivery business and a shop, but not sure how successful they were as Franks father died at a relatively young age.

Edited by Cruisegirl2