Catching criminals by them having to prove where they got their money

If you have ever applied for anything other than a low level job, you will have noticed that the salary is always "negotiable" or "dependent on experience". In these interviews, it is very common that the interviewer will ask you for your "salary expetations".

That has nothing to do with what you can charge your clients, which is what you were originally claiming.

---------- Post added 07-01-2017 at 17:04 ----------

With regards to publicly decaring undecared trading, I am well covered thank you. In the highly unlikely event that there was any HMRC lurking on here, they would have no contact details for me anywhere.

As the link I posted earlier shows, the HMRC doesn't need to lurk on forums to catch people. They can now weed out regular eBay and Gumtree users in order to make sure they are not evading tax on profits.

This bit in particular is quite clear:

“We cannot simply confiscate property and decide that it is the proceeds of crime. There will be a court hearing where it must be proven, on the balance of probabilities, that the person is living a criminal lifestyle."

This bit in particular is quite clear:

“We cannot simply confiscate property and decide that it is the proceeds of crime. There will be a court hearing where it must be proven, on the balance of probabilities, that the person is living a criminal lifestyle."

Yes you are right, I dont think anybody has suggested the police can go around willy nilly taking people's possessions off them.

but they used to be a saying by some policemen, it went something like this,

"I never sent an innocent man down" make of that what you want.

With regards to being a troll, I didn't anticipate at all the reaction I got. All I meant to do was comment on how it would be difficult for me and others to declare all our sources of income.

In what way would it be difficult? Employee's on high pay generally have to do self assessment anyway and large companies often assist in filling in the paperwork. It would be trivial to add any extra income from ebay trading to the form and pay the correct tax.

---------- Post added 08-01-2017 at 10:46 ----------

Let's get back to reality

If the police pull you over enquiring where you got the money to be driving a big flash car!! !simples show them your lease contract.

Can you imagine how inefficient it would be for the police to keep randomly stopping expensive cars and demanding proof that the driver could afford them legally...

In what way would it be difficult? Employee's on high pay generally have to do self assessment anyway and large companies often assist in filling in the paperwork. It would be trivial to add any extra income from ebay trading to the form and pay the correct tax.

---------- Post added 08-01-2017 at 10:46 ----------

Can you imagine how inefficient it would be for the police to keep randomly stopping expensive cars and demanding proof that the driver could afford them legally...

Or illegal. There is no law or powers that state that a police officer can stop a vehicle and demand proof that the driver can afford it legally.

The conversation would be something similar to this:

Officer: excuse me sir, can you prove that you can afford this vehicle legally?

Driver: no

Officer: ok, thank you.