Dilemma: To give or not to give that is the question

I have had that sort of thing happen to me too when I have wanted to donate cash . It makes you wonder if there is proof in the old saying, charity is a way of taking from the poor and giving to the rich.

Especially when Water Aid gives aid to India and Pakistan both Nuclear powers with India also having a space programme.

You couldn't make it up!

---------- Post added 11-01-2017 at 23:28 ----------

Modern moronic society isn't it.

It probably wouldn't be cost effective to have buckets.

A friend of mine used to go charity collecting, rattling a can outside supermarkets. "I get 30% of what goes in the can".

Especially when Water Aid gives aid to India and Pakistan both Nuclear powers with India also having a space programme.

You couldn't make it up!

---------- Post added 11-01-2017 at 23:28 ----------

A friend of mine used to go charity collecting, rattling a can outside supermarkets. "I get 30% of what goes in the can".

The way I see it, info is easy these days.

Give to things you want to. It's your own money.

Wow. I didn't think people could be so ignorant these days.

(Quote) Originally Posted by Robin-H View Post

I have already seen the film Anna, I saw it back in October. Please don't presume things about me. (End)

And you have the nerve to presume things about me.

IS'NT IT TIME TO PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH ?.

Ah. The same charity that had 2 foot soldiers canvassing on an estate in Glasgow last year. These 2 parasites managed to work their way into my girlfriends home while she was out- because her mum who has dementia let them in. They got her to sign up for a direct debit £20 per month! She hadn't a clue what was happening.

I would never give money to corporate charities (which is what they are) because it's not only the CEO who's coining it in, it's thousands of other managers on the gravy train.

---------- Post added 09-01-2017 at 19:26 ----------

The local shop managers and staff aren't paid over the odds. I hope you or your girlfriend got that DD stopped. I really dislike doorstep collectors from any charity - and lots use them not just BHF. I also hope that particular pair had some retraining at the very least!

However, I still support them by donation and volunteering in one of their shops. I stand by the fact that the money ploughed into research by the BHF has benefited people with potentially fatal or life changing heart conditions. I can live with the CEO and senior managers being paid fairly high salaries to make it a successful business. For instance BHF is the largest furniture chain in the UK. That wouldn't have happened without some sort of expertise and drive. It doesn't only benefit the public by selling donated furniture and electrical goods for less than new, it has a free pick up service which saves lots of people paying to have their sofa, sideboard or table removed. Of the millions raised, the CEO salary is a small percentage.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/about-us/who-we-are/our-statement-on-senior-salaries

It may seem a massive income to those who are struggling, but it's actually less than the CEO of SCC gets.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/south-yorkshire-council-chiefs-pay-packages-total-almost-750-000-in-a-year-figures-show-1-7561733

Edited by Ms Macbeth

The local shop managers and staff aren't paid over the odds. I hope you or your girlfriend got that DD stopped. I really dislike doorstep collectors from any charity - and lots use them not just BHF. I also hope that particular pair had some retraining at the very least!

However, I still support them by donation and volunteering in one of their shops. I stand by the fact that the money ploughed into research by the BHF has benefited people with potentially fatal or life changing heart conditions. I can live with the CEO and senior managers being paid fairly high salaries to make it a successful business. For instance BHF is the largest furniture chain in the UK. That wouldn't have happened without some sort of expertise and drive. It doesn't only benefit the public by selling donated furniture and electrical goods for less than new, it has a free pick up service which saves lots of people paying to have their sofa, sideboard or table removed. Of the millions raised, the CEO salary is a small percentage.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/about-us/who-we-are/our-statement-on-senior-salaries

It may seem a massive income to those who are struggling, but it's actually less than the CEO of SCC gets.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/south-yorkshire-council-chiefs-pay-packages-total-almost-750-000-in-a-year-figures-show-1-7561733

Absolutely. Would people rather a charity CEO was paid £25k and was unqualified to run a budget of that size and the charity went bust (highly likely scenario) or would you prefer to pay £100k which is quite a small part of the big charities budgets and have someone who is qualified and able to run the charity effectively, and thereby get more people the help the charity is supposed to support. I know which I prefer.

I opened the door to a young charity worker who gave me the spiel at speed and gave me a tea bag!!!!! ( I have forgotten the reason but probably to reinforce a point)

When I declined the offer to sign a DD form her attitude changed and as she turned to go away, snatched the tea bag from my hand.

I had to laugh it was so funny

Along with my RHS magazine there are always a number of leaflets and it now seems the mandatory charity appeal leaflet. This month it is a Sightsavers leaflet. Asking for Just £5 to "save his sight" With a picture of a little boy in obvious distress.

I don't have a lot of spare money I have put off getting new spectacles myself until I have had some treatment on one of my eyes. So I appreciate that eyesight is precious and also that money has to be used carefully.

The leaflet really tugged at my sympathy and empathy strings. However when I looked at the sightsavers site to give a donation I was stopped in my tracks as the form would not let me donate without giving my address. The leaflet gives me a choice to leave my address out. As it happened I also saw that the CEOs salary was just over £119,000. I was shocked. So much out of the money raised was going to the head of the charity. When I looked at other charities they all had similar or even more huge amounts going to CEOs.

Now I am torn.Do I give? knowing that much of the donations people are thinking will help save the sight of people in very bad circumstances or not. Or should I give instead to an organisation that is run completely by volunteers but to help people set up beekeeping businesses in the same country.

"There is a natural law, a Divine law, that obliges you and me to relieve the suffering, the distressed and the destitute. Charity is a supreme virtue, and the great channel through which the mercy of God is passed on to mankind. It is the virtue that unites men and inspires their noblest efforts. 'Love one another, for that is the whole law;' so our fellow men deserve to be loved and encouraged – never abandoned to wander alone in poverty and darkness. The practice of charity will bind us – will bind all men in one great brotherhood. As the funds you will expend have come from many places in the world, so let there be no territorial, religious, or color restrictions on your benefactions, but beware of organized, professional charities with high-salaried executives and a heavy ratio of expense. Be ever watchful for the opportunity to shelter little children with the umbrella of your charity; be generous to their schools, their hospitals and their places of worship. For, as they must bear the burdens of our mistakes, so are they in their innocence the repositories of our hopes for the upward progress of humanity. Give aid to their protectors and defenders, the Sisters, who devote their love and life's work for the good of mankind, for they appeal especially to me as being deserving of help from the Foundation."

Conrad Hilton.

Absolutely. Would people rather a charity CEO was paid £25k and was unqualified to run a budget of that size and the charity went bust (highly likely scenario) or would you prefer to pay £100k which is quite a small part of the big charities budgets and have someone who is qualified and able to run the charity effectively, and thereby get more people the help the charity is supposed to support. I know which I prefer.

Hmm takes a lot of skill to buy a load of pumps and ship them to Africa.

Doesn't take a lot of skill to deliver them once they're in Africa except they don't do it like that because it takes even less skill to drop them off at the docks so that the corrupt African officials demand money for them from the villagers 'filmed in Pinewood/Ellstree studios'.

Do you really think that the CEO is buying things and organising shipping?

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 10:01 ----------

Sightsavers CEO, Dr. Caroline Harper, earns £119,500 per annum from April 2015. Caroline’s salary is agreed by the board of trustees, after careful consideration by the remuneration committee who look at benchmarking evidence of the median salary for our type of organisation. The trustees believe this salary reflects the varied and challenging role that Caroline holds, and the impact Sightsavers has in the developing world under her leadership. She has no bonus scheme or car allowance, and the same pension rights as all other UK staff. All UK staff are paid at least the living wage, including interns. The ratio of the highest paid person to the lowest in the UK is approximately 6:1, and the ratio of highest to median is 3:1.

6:1, when in another thread we are talking about CEOs on average being on a ratio of 170:1

http://www.sightsavers.org/about-us/governance/how-we-spend-your-money/