Disgusting strike action on London underground.

Because it's a lie. See above.

Who do you think is responsible for the 100+ passengers boarding a train, some of them are inebriated, some are wheel chair users and some just plain old Joe public.

In my role I am responsible for up to 15 passengers, trains can have over 500 passengers.

I dont know. They are responsible for the safety of the train, they may be first aid trained; but its the safe running of the train that they are responsible for.

Just like the driver of a bus is responsible, on a train - its the train guard.

How are ticket office staff responsible for the safety on the tube train?

Who do you think is responsible for the 100+ passengers boarding a train, some of them are inebriated, some are wheel chair users and some just plain old Joe public.

In my role I am responsible for up to 15 passengers, trains can have over 500 passengers.

Again. This is irrelevant to the tube strike.

So they want a job that is effectively to be on hand in case of emergency.

That's a valid job, but the people who used to work in the ticket offices would likely not be the same ones employed for such a function and anyway there would be a great many fewer of them. Also they'd probably be in a different union (if they chose to join one).

Edited by unbeliever

I would suggest to the striking ticket office staff that they look into whether they can disable the ticketing machines which have replaced them using shoes.

In other words, they're a bunch of Luddites. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabotage#Etymology

---------- Post added 09-01-2017 at 12:47 ----------

it certainly is and i will defend anyones right to do that.

As will I.

it should also be any employers right to sack anyone who does that in the form of a strike.

Yes it should be, but it isn't. They may even be taken to court for failing to promote an employee with a history of striking in favour of one without such a history.

Doctors and ticket office workers aren't really the same thing. One is highly trained and carries life and death in his or her hands at all times and one, well, doesn't but with their union power can disrupt a captital city when public opinion and let's face it, good sense dictates their job is probably numbered. i still think TfL will cave to some degree - the union is very strong. And that's what's going to "win" this not common sense, not an economic argument, not the hassle they're putting everyone else through but union power.

Now el cid makes a valid point - is it a safety issue. I don't know either but there only so much they can do in an office, that in my very limited experience they are reluctant to leave.

I wasn't really trying to compare doctors with ticket office staff. I was simply pointing out that someone's right to strike is pretty crucial as far as I'm concerned and should be protected.

I can see why some areas cause severe problems such as TFL strikes and so on, but there isn't a quick fix unless you do as unbeliever suggests and remove anyones right to strike and that isn't something I agree with.