Rowlinson, any Old Boys on here?

Jacktari

Did anyone attend Rowlinson in the great days under Mr Kay?

They were great times.

I understand all our old school fields are built upon now, with the new estate, Jordanthorpe. It will be fairly old now though, it will have been there about 50 years. :).

We got a great grounding in Engineering and Science, and most of us went on to be Engineers, Marine in my case, hence the name. ;)

I served my time at Laycocks, now replaced by a supermarket I believe. Ah well, that is progress I suppose. :)

My late father went to Rowlinson school. He was born about 1939. His class would go cross country running in Graves Park but he would hide in a bush with his mates playing cards, then tag back onto the end as the class ran past again to go back to school.

Yeah, Remember it well. Its left a scar on my brain. Got whacked on my arse by Kay several times for low marks. But someone has to be at the bottom?? He used to walk the corridors with his black cape flowing like count Dracula.

Also Todge (Askham), That mean little rat would be locked up today with his harsh punishments. Hated every minute of it.

Glad I'm now free from that hell of a hole, altho' not free from the nightmares.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, Remember it well. Its left a scar on my brain. Got whacked on my arse by Kay several times for low marks. But someone has to be at the bottom?? He used to walk the corridors with his black cape flowing like count Dracula.

Also Todge (Askham), That mean little rat would be locked up today with his harsh punishments. Hated every minute of it.

Glad I'm now free from that hell of a hole, altho' not free from the nightmares.

I was there from 59-64, Bumble, Haycock was the gym teacher, Holy Joe and several others, Barlow geography teacher, I was there when the playing field couldn't be used because of glass. Askham was the typical little **** just like all other little men.

C.V. Kay the headmaster or Yak as we called him, Plus Todge Askham, deputy head would not be allowed to teach in Schools today because of their draconian measures. They would be in court instead. I was there from 1955 to 1960 and it was the latest Technical school with great reviews opened by one of the Royals.

Had a few good times though, but overshadowed by the bad times. Remember the cross country of which several of us hid in Graves park, ready for the short return run. However, I never entered the annual Cross country run. Produced parents notes to be excused, otherwise it was compulsory. Remember Holy Joe, Brennan(PE). Mrs Knott, Oxley, Otley, Haskell (woodwork). Sammy Startup( Metalwork). Milly Makin. And the list goes on.

• 1 month later...

Drove past the old Rowlinson building a couple of weeks ago and disappointed to see it being demolished. The small dining hall near the tuck shop & metal work corridor, which in '65 was the form room for 2nd year Ruskin, had completely gone. The larger dining hall was stripped back to steel framework. Guess it will only be a few weeks before the famous curved stone wall at the rear of the main hall will be gone.

Seems a bit ironic that as the government talk about building new technical schools / colleges, there is Sheffield's best being pulled down.

Wonder is the contractors will be sellinmg souvenirs.:huh:

Mike

Ex Rowlinson '64-'71

• 7 years later...

I didn't go to Rowlinson but the guy who taught me to play chess did, I think. Frank Stead probably 61/62 entry.

I remember my first year and walking around being referred to as a fag! forgot to mention earlier I was in Chantrey house, went across to Jordanthorpe one time to practice for the school sports day with PE teacher Johny Haycock, I got to throw the javelin and almost killed him because I broke the school record and missed him.

We had a very strange group of classmates, Dodge was a music fanatic, turned up every Friday with the MNE ( new musical express) read it from front to back. Rosey was so nicknamed because he drank rose hip syrup every day!! Ecker and Norfy both came up from Darnall I think, what a trip that must have been twice a day!! Somebody asked about the maths teacher, in my time, he was a tall man, always wore a tweed jacket and finally Tog, If I had ever met him after I left I would have given him something to remember my by, the little *******. I dont think I have ever come across a person hated by so many.

Thats all for now folks, stay well.