Failing NHS caused by the Tories?

I heard on the wireless a day or so ago. That 2p increase in NI contributions and

£2.00p per prescription charge (not per item ) for old age pensioners; would raise quite a large sum of money to help out the NHS. Is that possible politically-or is it pie in the sky ?

Pie in the sky - pensioners are sacred cows.

I heard on the wireless a day or so ago. That 2p increase in NI contributions and

£2.00p per prescription charge (not per item ) for old age pensioners; would raise quite a large sum of money to help out the NHS. Is that possible politically-or is it pie in the sky ?

NI is less progressive than income tax. An increase in the standard rate of income tax would raise a similar amount in a more progressive way.

---------- Post added 16-01-2017 at 16:46 ----------

So it's not reducing the cost then - it's still going to cost me just as much if not more because there is another layer of people wanting a cut of the money....

Nationalisation breeds inefficiency by removing competition. I don't care if somebody is making a profit as long as it's good value overall.

Nationalisation breeds inefficiency by removing competition. I don't care if somebody is making a profit as long as it's good value overall.

On the other hand for natural monopolies nationalisation could be the optimum model.

NI is less progressive than income tax. An increase in the standard rate of income tax would raise a similar amount in a more progressive way.

---------- Post added 16-01-2017 at 16:46 ----------

Not trains then.

Tory plans to close some A&Es, that will definitely improve the situation, and isn't at all the fault of the tories I'm sure. A government last in power 12 years ago probably made them do it, or maybe a bigger boy or something...

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 08:57 ----------

Track is a monopoly. Like roads.

Trains are not. Like buses.

Ah yes, the choice to catch a train from many different providers is what stops the fares being put up every year at an above inflation rate.

The non monopoly situation is exactly why when travelling to London from Sheffield you have a choice of SO many operators. Let me count them for you.

East Midlands Trains

There we go... It's 1.

Tell me, what do we call a market situation where a single operator is the only one to offer a particular service?

Tory plans to close some A&Es, that will definitely improve the situation, and isn't at all the fault of the tories I'm sure. A government last in power 12 years ago probably made them do it, or maybe a bigger boy or something.. ?

A few short weeks ago I was told, by a Tory, that "Lefties" blame others for their failings. Now I'm being told, by Tories, that the current NHS crisis is caused by a contract someone else made with GPs in 2004. One could point out that if they thought the contract was that bad they've had 7 years to do something about it, although in fairness they've been so busy making life hell for people who are too ill to work that you can see how they may not have had time.