Failing NHS caused by the Tories?

There is a staffing crisis in the NHS insofar as we cannot get enough skilled nurses and doctors.

When the Tories came in, they had this austerity agenda which manifested itself as a recruitment freeze in many NHS Trusts.

Nurses etc who had reached the end of their training did not have the vacancies to go. So they go work elsewhere and don't return.

The recruitment freeze can never last more than a year or two. Now we're finding that there aren't enough skilled people to fill the posts.

The Tories also made cuts to nurse training and bursaries. The thinking is that the £70,000 is costs to train a nurse can instead buy three nurses that have been trained by other countries (sneaky, eh).

Then the referendum happened and the atmosphere got nasty. EU nationals expect to face hurdles when coming to the UK so applications have dropped off. Even if they have a skill on the Shortage Occupation List there is a lot of paperwork to get a visa for those that don't have freedom of movement. Can their partner find employment? Will their children be able to make the country their home?Just go work in an EU country instead.

So a combination of govt mismanagement and the referendum have broken the recruitment pipeline. It takes some time to get people through training; it will take some time before EU nationals get treated with respect instead of bargaining chips.

Expect things to get worse before they get better.

When they get worse, expect the Tories to tell us that privatisation is the answer.

Edited by Flexo

Funding has not increased on a per capita basis, it has fallen. :huh:

Over what period?

NHS net spending was £75.822 Billion in 2005/06. This rose to £117.229 Billion in 2015/16. Funding of the NHS in 2005/6 was £1,259.29 per capita. In 2015/16 it was £1,811.44 per capita, meaning it had risen by £552.15, not decreased over this period.

Problems in the the media about patients on trolleys are owing to a shortage of beds.

The shortage of beds is owing to cuts in social care which mean old people are in hospital when they would have been elsewhere before those cuts.

Social care is funded by councils. Councils had big cuts from the Tories. Councils cut social care.

So cuts in other areas are putting stress on the NHS.

Problems in the the media about patients on trolleys are owing to a shortage of beds.

The shortage of beds is owing to cuts in social care which mean old people are in hospital when they would have been elsewhere before those cuts.

Social care is funded by councils. Councils had big cuts from the Tories. Councils cut social care.

I think there's some truth in this.

But councils must take some responsibility for what they choose to cut.

There is a staffing crisis in the NHS insofar as we cannot get enough skilled nurses and doctors.

When the Tories came in, they had this austerity agenda which manifested itself as a recruitment freeze in many NHS Trusts.

Nurses etc who had reached the end of their training did not have the vacancies to go. So they go work elsewhere and don't return.

The recruitment freeze can never last more than a year or two. Now we're finding that there aren't enough skilled people to fill the posts.

The Tories also made cuts to nurse training and bursaries. The thinking is that the £70,000 is costs to train a nurse can instead buy three nurses that have been trained by other countries (sneaky, eh).

Then the referendum happened and the atmosphere got nasty. EU nationals expect to face hurdles when coming to the UK so applications have dropped off. Even if they have a skill on the Shortage Occupation List there is a lot of paperwork to get a visa for those that don't have freedom of movement. Can their partner find employment? Will their children be able to make the country their home?Just go work in an EU country instead.

So a combination of govt mismanagement and the referendum have broken the recruitment pipeline. It takes some time to get people through training; it will take some time before EU nationals get treated with respect instead of bargaining chips.

Expect things to get worse before they get better.

When they get worse, expect the Tories to tell us that privatisation is the answer.

It's worth pointing out that in the run up to the last election labour said they wouldn't reverse any of the cuts.

But this is not a mental health issue. Women having mastectomies are routinely offered breast implants.

It is a mental health and wellbeing issue though. You can't isolate the cancer treatment element from all the follow up etc that allows people to return to a productive life with restored self esteem etc. All these procedures are costed on a quality of life basis.

Bang on. Sick old people with dementia cost the NHS and councils millions. They take up beds because when they're "well" enough to leave hospital, they aren't "well" enough to go home or need a place in a care home, so they need to be assessed, space at a care home, chosen by relatives needs to be found - it all takes time. The NHS simply hasn't got enough flex and those that run hospitals (and there's more admin staff than clinical staff - I'll find a link) can't or won't make it work better.

Over what period?

NHS net spending was £75.822 Billion in 2005/06. This rose to £117.229 Billion in 2015/16. Funding of the NHS in 2005/6 was £1,259.29 per capita. In 2015/16 it was £1,811.44 per capita, meaning it had risen by £552.15, not decreased over this period.

In the period that I identified the first time I made the statement. A statement that unbeliever has been picking at ever since, despite me providing the link at the time to prove it.

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 14:14 ----------

Bang on. Sick old people with dementia cost the NHS and councils millions. They take up beds because when they're "well" enough to leave hospital, they aren't "well" enough to go home or need a place in a care home, so they need to be assessed, space at a care home, chosen by relatives needs to be found - it all takes time. The NHS simply hasn't got enough flex and those that run hospitals (and there's more admin staff than clinical staff - I'll find a link) can't or won't make it work better.

Diabetes is a higher cost though.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news_landing_page/nhs-spending-on-diabetes-to-reach-169-billion-by-2035/

That's more than the current budget entirely!

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 14:16 ----------

Do you not understand what the word "routinely" means?

Yes, I absolutely do. Do you not understand what mental health is?

Do you think that NICE approved the treatment for spurious reasons, or do they perhaps have more information than you do?

In the period that I identified the first time I made the statement. A statement that unbeliever has been picking at ever since, despite me providing the link at the time to prove it.

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 14:14 ----------

Diabetes is a higher cost though.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news_landing_page/nhs-spending-on-diabetes-to-reach-169-billion-by-2035/

That's more than the current budget entirely!

Right now I see. You can just about make funding per capita look like it's falling if you carefully select the dates.