Old corner shop, Walkley

Maddie000

Hello...I'm trying to find out a bit more about the old corner shop on Walkley Crescent Road and Hawthorne Street in Walkley. I think it was converted into a house in the 80s.

Can anyone remember it as a shop, or anything about who ran it, what it was called, what it was like? I've had a look on here and Historic Sheffield but nothing comes up - any memories gratefully received!

Guest makapaka

There was one on bellhagg road that's gone aswell more recently. It was open about 10 years ago but has vanished now.

What was that place called?

Hello...I'm trying to find out a bit more about the old corner shop on Walkley Crescent Road and Hawthorne Street in Walkley. I think it was converted into a house in the 80s.

Can anyone remember it as a shop, or anything about who ran it, what it was called, what it was like? I've had a look on here and Historic Sheffield but nothing comes up - any memories gratefully received!

We lived on Hawthorne Street until about 1988 and it was still a shop when we left. It was a very useful corner shop which we used virtually every day, my wife thinks the shopkeepers name was Roberts.

Guest makapaka
We lived on Hawthorne Street until about 1988 and it was still a shop when we left. It was a very useful corner shop which we used virtually every day, my wife thinks the shopkeepers name was Roberts.

Alf?????????

... the old corner shop on Walkley Crescent Road and Hawthorne Street..
The address the former shop is 100 Walkley Crescent Road. The old Kelly's directories I have show the business as follows:.

..1905 - John Lally, griocer

..1911 - Paul Bell, grocer

..1925 to 1942 - Paul & F.H. Bell, grocers

..1951 to 1974 (the last published) - Mrs Ivy Cross, grocer

The address the former shop is 100 Walkley Crescent Road. The old Kelly's directories I have show the business as follows:.

..1905 - John Lally, griocer

..1911 - Paul Bell, grocer

..1925 to 1942 - Paul & F.H. Bell, grocers

..1951 to 1974 (the last published) - Mrs Ivy Cross, grocer

Well done Hillsbro, thank you, my wife was wrong, we now both remember Mrs. Cross who was still there in the 80's.

On a side note, are those more recent directories available online anywhere please? I have some 19th century and early 20th but have not come across the later ones online.

Edited by Boginspro

I really wish that someone would make the later directories avaiable online or on DVD, but as far as I know the 1901, 1905, 1911 and 1925 directories are the only 20th century ones of Sheffield that are available in digital form. Later directories do occasionally turn up in secondhand bookshops and on eBay. They sell for anything between £20 and £100 each - generally the earlier they are the higher the price. I bought a 1940 Sheffield & Rotherham directory via eBay in December for £32 which I regarded as cheap.

I really wish that someone would make the later directories avaiable online or on DVD, but as far as I know the 1901, 1905, 1911 and 1925 directories are the only 20th century ones of Sheffield that are available in digital form. Later directories do occasionally turn up in secondhand bookshops and on eBay. They sell for anything between £20 and £100 each - generally the earlier they are the higher the price. I bought a 1940 Sheffield & Rotherham directory via eBay in December for £32 which I regarded as cheap.

Thanks for the information, it does seem strange that with the technology we have now that the more modern information is so hard to find.