Old corner shop, Walkley

Maddie000

• 2 years later...
On 12/01/2017 at 16:28, makapaka said:

Thanks - when did it close and what is it now

My brother in law and his parter bought the house a couple of years ago. They have made a great job of renovating it and restoring it... Jen is an Architect, and a lot of time was taken before they started work. They would be very pleased to see any photos of the place as a shop, there is nothing at all anywhere online that anyone has found.

On 12/01/2017 at 18:02, Boginspro said:

Well done Hillsbro, thank you, my wife was wrong, we now both remember Mrs. Cross who was still there in the 80's.

On a side note, are those more recent directories available online anywhere please? I have some 19th century and early 20th but have not come across the later ones online.

My god, you've got big cohones, publishing that on a public forum.

• 4 years later...
On 12/01/2017 at 15:42, Boginspro said:

We lived on Hawthorne Street until about 1988 and it was still a shop when we left. It was a very useful corner shop which we used virtually every day, my wife thinks the shopkeepers name was Roberts.

Was  Mrs crosses . Used to walk up jennle from stores hall rd . Made her own penny ice lollys in 70s summers . Sold everything you could think of . Remember carrying eggs in a paper bag 

On 12/01/2017 at 12:22, Maddie000 said:

Hello...I'm trying to find out a bit more about the old corner shop on Walkley Crescent Road and Hawthorne Street in Walkley. I think it was converted into a house in the 80s.

Can anyone remember it as a shop, or anything about who ran it, what it was called, what it was like? I've had a look on here and Historic Sheffield but nothing comes up - any memories gratefully received!

On 12/01/2017 at 16:28, Guest makapaka said:

Was Mrs crosses.  Used to walk up jennle from stores hall rd . Sold everything you could think of . Made her own penny ice lollys in 70s summers and remember carrying eggs in a paper bag 

Hello...I'm trying to find out a bit more about the old corner shop on Walkley Crescent Road and Hawthorne Street in Walkley. I think it was converted into a house in the 80s.

Can anyone remember it as a shop, or anything about who ran it, what it was called, what it was like? I've had a look on here and Historic Sheffield but nothing comes up - any memories gratefully received!

Mrs crosses