Waggon & Horses, Millhouses

StefanFGrill

its a shame Pesto didnt make the grade, too much dining area and not enough for a casual drink, used to enjoy sitting outside with a glass or two of vino or a beer with some nibbles in the sun.

if the new operation listens to people, good quality food not cheap" 2 for a tenner" garbage and a seperate drinking area on the right as you go in and it might just work.

When Cath was the Land Lady, she left several years ago but it had a great atmosphere, the food was OK!, but not always fantastic a little hit and miss!! But the balance between Pub and Food was great and for regulars and walk-ins she had it spot on.

The Landlords after Cath were useless, unfriendly and the food was horrible it was as thigh they wanted to turn it into a Football pub, and it's gone down hill since!!

What it needs is that Family feel for the passing trade, comfort for those who enjoy a traditional pub and a really good mix of regular and Premium Lagers, Beers, Wines and Spirits (vodka & lager for us) just like the selection at the Prince of Wales, on Eccelsall Road. It would be nice for my Partner and I to be able to go somewhere close by (Walking Distance) without having to go to Eccelsall Road or Town to get a quality range of Drink and food and it needs to be somewhere you don't feel uncomfortable walking into with a relaxed un rushed feeling.....I have spoken to lots of the new generation couples in the Area and it's a must for good food and mix of regular and premium drinks, somewhere you can have a good Friday Night and a chilled out relaxing Saturday Day after taking the kids and dogs in the park.

Also allowing dogs on their lead in the non food area would also be beneficial too those of us who don't have kids yet.

If I was fortunate enough to buy this place this is what I would do, and after spending hours in there and knowing the passing trade and regulars I know this would be a success!!!

Hope this helps and Good Luck and see you soon. X

---------- Post added 12-01-2014 at 21:11 ----------

Defiantly need to listen to what the customer wants, that's where the others have gone wrong!!!

---------- Post added 12-01-2014 at 21:14 ----------

Exactly what this area doesn't need. Look at pubs which do well in the area - good beer and good food prevail. £5 steaks aren't high on anyone's list of priorities. Unfortunately, I can only see this bringing the chavvy sorts to Millhouses.

I agree it Needs to go upper market and not down market, cheaper food isn't to bad, so long as it's not cheap alcohol too. It's all about the right balance.

A 'flaming grill' pub is a completely misjudged venture, it will undoubtedly be rubbish, with the 'food' mass produced in some unit on a trading estate in Essex or somewhere, shipped out and reheated on the premises, while the customers numb their expectations with overpriced, low quality beer.

A 'flaming grill' pub is a completely misjudged venture, it will undoubtedly be rubbish, with the 'food' mass produced in some unit on a trading estate in Essex or somewhere, shipped out and reheated on the premises, while the customers numb their expectations with overpriced, low quality beer.

You've summed it up perfectly there mate.

There are plenty of lovely Sheffield beers eg abbeydale, kelham, bradfield. My favourite is farmers blonde.

Farmers Blonde is a great session beer, so is Moonshine be it many landlords admit its more difficult to keep. Chantry (Rotherham) and Double Top(Worksop) are churning out some good beers too.

Good luck to the place.

Edited by POUNDSWORTH

Hi everyone just a quick thank you to everyones feedback and suggestions so far every single comment has been read, duly noted and will help me when it comes to the small things that will make you guys happy when we open.

As you know this is a national pub chain, and in your posts you do make a fair point that indeed I will only have so much input into what I can and can't do with the pub. However, the details and points you make will be reflected in the decisions I make as much as possible.

I find it really great that most of you are willing to give it a try and let me have a chance, at trying to make it a successful pub, even if it is not to everyones tastes, as its not possible to make everyone happy but I will give it a good go.

It also would be great if the guys who are willing to give us a chance would maybe introduce themselves to me when you pop in the pub so obviously you could give me some feedback after your visit whether it be good or bad!

Thank you and please keep posting what you personally would like to see in the Waggon and Horses it really helps.

Stefan.

Hi everyone just a quick thank you to everyones feedback and suggestions so far every single comment has been read, duly noted and will help me when it comes to the small things that will make you guys happy when we open.

As you know this is a national pub chain, and in your posts you do make a fair point that indeed I will only have so much input into what I can and can't do with the pub. However, the details and points you make will be reflected in the decisions I make as much as possible.

I find it really great that most of you are willing to give it a try and let me have a chance, at trying to make it a successful pub, even if it is not to everyones tastes, as its not possible to make everyone happy but I will give it a good go.

It also would be great if the guys who are willing to give us a chance would maybe introduce themselves to me when you pop in the pub so obviously you could give me some feedback after your visit whether it be good or bad!

Thank you and please keep posting what you personally would like to see in the Waggon and Horses it really helps.

Stefan.

Well you have started off well by asking opinions and listening to feedback.

Good luck will certainly give it a try when it opens provided it does not look like a restaurant only affair as the last place did.

Stefan.

I realise that you're trying and that you're constrained from expressing yourself freely by the pub company you work for. Would it be worth your while forwarding a link to this thread to your head office?

Are you allowed to order the 4500 calorie burger with three extra plates? That way you could share it with friends and family, splitting it four ways to make a reasonable portion :)

Hi Nagel, sorry I must of missed replying to this earlier.

Yes! This is 100% fine, I once had a family order it and share it with 4 children for £9.99, and many of couples share it and its well more than enough for 2.

Only difference is, if its ordered to share and you eat it all then you don't get a certificate for completing it thats all and by no means is ordering it for 2 to share frowned upon in anyway at all.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added 13-01-2014 at 09:48 ----------

I realise that you're trying and that you're constrained from expressing yourself freely by the pub company you work for. Would it be worth your while forwarding a link to this thread to your head office?

I have a meeting shortly and will be discussing all the points raised by you guys then, but thank you for the idea though Nagel.