Sheffield bus fare change vouchers

Guest busdriver1
1) That's not having the right money, most fares are not £1, £2 or £3.

2) Why are consumers expected to have that foresight and the multinational company isn't? They handle change all day every day, I catch the bus rarely and don't even know what the fare will be.

---------- Post added 28-01-2017 at 08:36 ----------

Yeah, look at all the idiots. Expecting to pay for a service with money and be given CHANGE. What is this, the 21st century or something.

If he only gets 1 break in 10 - 12 hours then the company is breaking the law btw.

This details the minimum legal number/length of breaks.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/409724/staying-legal-PSV.pdf

it can be done where a driver gets 10 minutes every hour and can work up to 8 1/2 hours.

The driving hours regulations only apply to the driving part of the duty. a 20 minute layover in the middle of nowhere does not count towards his driving time. If you want to talk drivers hours regulations bring it on. The traffic commissioner's get tied in knots with them so if you think a quick googled article is chapter and verse good luck.

It is possible to do 15 hours per day yet only have one rest break.

---------- Post added 28-01-2017 at 11:20 ----------

I think you may have that backwards as if people cant pay by card then there should be more change not less. In any case, have the public been consulted on their preferred method of payment? Maybe SYPTE could at least do a survey. As as far as I can tell cash is still the preferred method for most when it comes to small payments.

I've never been in a shop and had problems with them giving out change so why should bus driver be the exception.

But it is the companies fault for deciding to do this and not consult anyone, maybe its because they know it would be objected to.

Who said its not a problem elsewhere, a quick google will tell you otherwise. In any case fares have risen significantly so it not too much to ask to receive change from a fiver for a £3.50 ticket is it?

Maybe people who are not happy with this should write to SYPTE and express their concerns.

By people not using cash as often I was of course referring to "at the point of boarding" meaning they have passes or season tickets. I suspect you knew that.

A quick google will only tell you about the tiny minority who are very vocal, my direct experience from the position of someone who has done the job tells me different. Google can tell you just about anything you want it to.

Shops of course have back offices and safes, buses do not but I also suspect you knew that as well, it is very noticeable.

Feel free to write to SYPTE, it has got bugger all to do with them.

I repost as you obviously "accidently" missed this point

Any bus company when buying ticket machines cost them over a set period of time (normally about 5 years) They are very expensive machines these days.

Stagecoach replaced there machines about 4-5 years ago so are able to look at introducing new machines that may include contactless payment as an option.

First replaced theirs more recently so are further away from a viable date when they can be upgraded.

This is simple good business practice. No business would replace any asset that had not been depreciated.

To give an idea of the costs involved, I have recently bought a car for less than the price of a modern ticket machine.

Edited by busdriver1

1) That's not having the right money, most fares are not £1, £2 or £3.

2) Why are consumers expected to have that foresight and the multinational company isn't? They handle change all day every day, I catch the bus rarely and don't even know what the fare will be.

Its close enough so its unlikely to cause difficulties. Normally bus fares are that or at 50p increments.

Because its worked that way all the time. there are numerous posts repeating why a drivers float is limited. I just find it easier to use a bit of common sense and know if I need to catch a bus, then having the right money rather than just a £20 note will cause less hassle and delay for everyone. Its worked perfectly well for decades. Unsurpising SF find stuff to moan about.

If they offer a voucher and you dont want, then get off the bus and choose another method. Cant imagine it will be that long before its contactless or ticket only anyway.

Because its worked that way all the time. .............

No. It hasn't.

---------- Post added 28-01-2017 at 12:13 ----------

... and then there are also those

that seem to be able to manage the float issue in a much better way. Edited by cgksheff

No. It hasn't.

that seem to be able to manage the float issue in a much better way.

Its always been an expectation as a matter of courtesy and to save time that people have the right money wherever possible. What is it you seem to think I am saying? The vouchers are new if thats what you were referring to, but then I wasnt talking about them.

i

I repost as you obviously "accidently" missed this point

Any bus company when buying ticket machines cost them over a set period of time (normally about 5 years) They are very expensive machines these days.

Stagecoach replaced there machines about 4-5 years ago so are able to look at introducing new machines that may include contactless payment as an option.

First replaced theirs more recently so are further away from a viable date when they can be upgraded.

This is simple good business practice. No business would replace any asset that had not been depreciated.

To give an idea of the costs involved, I have recently bought a car for less than the price of a modern ticket machine.

But most bus companies make very good profits and also pay for the new buses we see replacing ones that can still be used, and also pay good dividends to their shareholders. They are not as skint as you would like us believe. In any case, has the whole idea of vouchers been given approval by SYPTE? as you seem to have missed that bit.

Guest busdriver1
But most bus companies make very good profits and also pay for the new buses we see replacing ones that can still be used, and also pay good dividends to their shareholders. They are not as skint as you would like us believe. In any case, has the whole idea of vouchers been given approval by SYPTE? as you seem to have missed that bit.

Nothing to do with SYPTE driven by the bus companies partially to prevent abuse by passengers.

P.S. its been 3 years since First paid a dividend to its shareholders, wonder why that is?

Could it be that the forthcoming closure of Rotherham Depot is because its making a profit?

Cant beat good old supposition.

---------- Post added 28-01-2017 at 18:27 ----------

No. It hasn't.

that seem to be able to manage the float issue in a much better way.

Didnt we have them in London where one sunk, and Liverpool where one sunk?

Nothing to do with SYPTE driven by the bus companies partially to prevent abuse by passengers.

P.S. its been 3 years since First paid a dividend to its shareholders, wonder why that is?

Could it be that the forthcoming closure of Rotherham Depot is because its making a profit?

Cant beat good old supposition.

Me bold.. True but all you have to do to get some correct information on profits is do a little bit of research, that way you will soon come to realise just how much profit First makes. The UK bus division made an operating profit of £51.8 million in 2015 up £7.4 million on 2014 and like for like passenger revenue increased by 2.3%. So profits are increasing not going down.

Guest busdriver1
Me bold.. True but all you have to do to get some correct information on profits is do a little bit of research, that way you will soon come to realise just how much profit First makes. The UK bus division made an operating profit of £51.8 million in 2015 up £7.4 million on 2014 and like for like passenger revenue increased by 2.3%. So profits are increasing not going down.

I am well aware that the group as a whole is making profits, South Yorkshire is well know as an area that does not hence the forthcoming closure of Rotherham depot. However back to the point, the contract for supply of ticket machines is nowhere near its end so nothing will happen till that happens.

People have managed to pay by cash for years, why is it suddenly so hard to do so in sheffield yet not a problem elsewhere?

Actually Stagecoach have had their machines now for about nine years - First have had theirs about five.

The Stagecoach machines were never designed with contactless payment in mind, but according to this article the Almex machines that First use do support contactless payment - and indeed, it should have been available by the end of 2012!

I assume there is some sort of technical or financial reason why First haven't implemented it yet - they were still putting the same ticket machines into depots last year so I assume they intend to stick with them for some time longer. It's a shame because contactless payment is very much a mainstream thing these days and I think it would make the lives of passengers and drivers a lot easier.

Not enough is done on the smartcard front either. First and Stagecoach have their own but they aren't that popular or well marketed, and if you use a route run by two operators it's pretty useless. There is the TravelMaster card but you have to faff around to get one and faff around to top it up - if it could automatically renew every week/month that would be a lot better.

As for change - I really think it's time to implement an exact-change only policy - I think it would force/encourage a lot of the people who expect unreasonable amounts of change to be available to actually use the smartcards instead.