Sheffield bus fare change vouchers

Isn't it about time bus travel came into the 21st century and you could pay by debit/credit card Would go a long way to overcome these kind of problems, as would the Parisian concept of buying a carnet of tickets.

Edited by kaytie

The reason for the time limit is obvious, these vouchers are in lieu of cash and need to be accounted for. surely it is not difficult to find a stagecoach bus within 4 weeks?

It is if you only use a bus every few month's. I have no idea what the fare will be as they change all the time and use the transport very infrequent, so the voucher would be very inconvenience to me. I only carry notes as twice tried to pay for tickets in change on first and would not accept as they had too much change. By the way im not talking silly 1ps. A all day saver in £1 & 50p

Guest busdriver1
Personally I would refuse to accept one and demand that the balance be paid in cash as the money given over was in cash.

Thanks for giving evidence why drivers hate working in Sheffield, passengers like you expect everyone else to take responsibility for your actions.

The solution is in your own hands, try tendering the right money or somewhere near and you wont get one simple.

---------- Post added 15-01-2017 at 01:00 ----------

It is if you only use a bus every few month's. I have no idea what the fare will be as they change all the time and use the transport very infrequent, so the voucher would be very inconvenience to me. I only carry notes as twice tried to pay for tickets in change on first and would not accept as they had too much change. By the way im not talking silly 1ps. A all day saver in £1 & 50p

You dont have to travel on the bus to redeem the change voucher, out of curiosity if you dont carry change what will you do when the driver gives you your change in coins? Throw it away?

As for a driver refusing the right money there is no other way of saying this - I DONT BELIEVE YOU !

---------- Post added 15-01-2017 at 01:06 ----------

This is an improvement on the previous situation where passengers without the right money could be refused travel and also stops those people who regularly attempted to blag free travel by offering a £20 note for a ticket costing less than £5!

When First started issuing Change vouchers, I recall being told of one trip at 5 o'clock in the morning where the driver issued over 20 change vouchers for over £15 each.

These passengers had been doing the same for months and had been getting free rides.

Next day they all had the right money.

Strange.

---------- Post added 15-01-2017 at 01:07 ----------

Isn't it about time bus travel came into the 21st century and you could pay by debit/credit card Would go a long way to overcome these kind of problems, as would the Pakistan concept of buying a carnet of tickets.

Yes much easier than passengers taking a bit of responsibility :loopy:

]

When First started issuing Change vouchers, I recall being told of one trip at 5 o'clock in the morning where the driver issued over 20 change vouchers for over £15 each.

These passengers had been doing the same for months and had been getting free rides.

Next day they all had the right money.

Surely they didn't need any money as they had vouchers?

The bus companies should be the same as the majority of shops and TFL where you can pay by contactless.

I'm the same as the person (haddy) who said they rarely use the bus in Sheffield, if I get a bus I don't know the fare so I might have £2 in change but beyond that it will be a £10 or £20.

Poor service (i.e. regularly not having change) would make me less inclined to use buses in the future, which ultimately could lead to fewer buses and bus drivers, but more walking/cycling/car journeys.

Also the way people are spending money is changing. A few years ago someone would have got change (for the bus etc) when they bought a coffee/sandwich/beer etc.. these days more and more people use cards so there are fewer opportunities to get change.

Edited by Jon26
Added name

The reason for the time limit is obvious, these vouchers are in lieu of cash and need to be accounted for. surely it is not difficult to find a stagecoach bus within 4 weeks?

No, the reason for the time limit is not obvious. Yes the voucher is in lieu of cash. However, it is my cash but it would seem that after a month it becomes Stagecoach cash. I wonder how that shows in the accounts? Perhaps item '999, cash obtained via banditry'?

There are many quite logical reasons why one may be outside the locality and be unable to 'find a Stagecoach bus' within the time limit - working away, student at university, in armed forces, a sightseer visiting the area.

I maybe a member of an Antarctic survey team just leaving to spend the next year near the South Pole. I think Stagecoach have cut that route, so yes it is difficult to find a Stagecoach bus within a month.

Not if I in the process of leaving the Stagecoach area for longer than the time limit.

How many people out there do you imagine will be in a situation where they get one of these vouchers and then immediately leave Sheffield for a month? Not many. In any case is there an option to send these vouchers in to be redeemed?