Sheffield bus fare change vouchers

"TfL is now sitting on more than £223 million in unused Oyster card credit..." as well as 41 million dormant cards which have cost customers £3-£5 each.

Maeve O’Donnell, Money Writer,8 Aug 2016, in MoneySavingExpert.com

Stagecoach are not in the same league-yet.

Give them a chance, they are trying :hihi:

The bit I was quoting was not about them being redeemable but about those that were not redeemed. Why do they have expiry dates as its well know that the vouchers traded in stores also have them and once expired they cant be used. The coins and notes that are tendered don't have expiry dates do they?

Because books have to balance.... and trying to work out a deduction from a voucher used in September, that was issued back in January will cause a nightmare and headache for the accountant(s), especially when the yearly tax ends in April..

Similar how you can't use a 'lost' receipt from the previous year to claim VAT etc when self employed, you have to gather/log all incomings and outgoings (in any form) for your tax returns, and if you loose any receipts etc, then that's lost money....

Guest busdriver1
Because books have to balance.... and trying to work out a deduction from a voucher used in September, that was issued back in January will cause a nightmare and headache for the accountant(s), especially when the yearly tax ends in April..

Similar how you can't use a 'lost' receipt from the previous year to claim VAT etc when self employed, you have to gather/log all incomings and outgoings (in any form) for your tax returns, and if you loose any receipts etc, then that's lost money....

Why, if a person can not be bothered to redeem their voucher is it the bus company at fault. We are not talking about a couple of days here, it is a month :loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

Of course if they had used a little bit of common sense they would not be in that position so I suppose that explains it all.

Why, if a person can not be bothered to redeem their voucher is it the bus company at fault. We are not talking about a couple of days here, it is a month :loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

Of course if they had used a little bit of common sense they would not be in that position so I suppose that explains it all.

I never said it was the companies fault, I was simply explaining why they have an expiration date on them...

Guest busdriver1
I never said it was the companies fault, I was simply explaining why they have an expiration date on them...

I was agreeing with you.

Why, if a person can not be bothered to redeem their voucher is it the bus company at fault. We are not talking about a couple of days here, it is a month :loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loop

You still have not answered why they have an expiry date in the first place, as pointed out, cash rarely has one. I see plenty of people on the tram going to the train station who have been visiting Sheffield. They may not return in time to use the unspent voucher or maybe will not be coming back anytime soon. In those circumstances do you think it fair for the bus/tram company to pocket that money? Maybe they should be a bit more transparent with what is not returned and do some good by giving it to charity. At least they would have some credibility by doing that.

---------- Post added 15-01-2017 at 22:38 ----------

That not a very good reason. If high street stores can sell vouchers that have an expiry date of 2 years, and some sell them with no expiry date then its doable.

Edited by apelike

You still have not answered why they have an expiry date in the first place, as pointed out, cash rarely has one. I see plenty of people on the tram going to the train station who have been visiting Sheffield. They may not return in time to use the unspent voucher or maybe will not be coming back anytime soon.

How many people do you really think this is going to apply to? If anyone has arrived in Sheffield earlier that day its not going to have been at the crack of dawn when buses have no float anyway, because no trains arrive into Sheffield from anywhere significantly far away until 7am or so. Plus you make it sound like hundreds and thousands of these vouchers are being dished out, they are only given out as a last resort.

In any case nobody has answered the question I raised earlier - is there an option to post the change voucher in to be reimbursed?

It is also a better situation than in some cities such as Nottingham, Birmingham and Glasgow where there is an exact change only policy - you drop your fare down a chute into a safe next to the drivers cab. It is possibly also a better situation than in London where cash is not accepted at all on buses - just smart cards and contactless debit cards.

I was told by a TM Travel driver on Saturday that TM travel are going to a no change system at the end of February.

The sooner we drag public transport in Sheffield out of the dark ages the better - switch to a contactless system & there's absolutely no need to carry any change, or have an entitled moan about the lack of change. It just works.

Before anyone starts moaning about people learning about new systems, it is in use in many cities around the world & the UK without any major problems.