Merkel warns Trump against ' protectionism' policies

In Countries with trade barriers, the tariffs account for up to 25% of their total tax take, just think how that could fund our NHS and lower income tax.

You seem to forget it would mean less trade for us abroad. Do you tbhink we need international trade? We tax them they tax us and less trade happens. 25% of not a lot is not a lot. You would also make your own industries less competitive by taxing goods they needed to operate. think what that would do for inflation.

China and India, the worlds largest and sixth largest economy are both big on tariffs; free trade is not the only thing that countries do.

I am sure the Conservatives would love you to believe tariffs are bad, the USA do tariffs too. Are tariffs bad, I dont know, but can they be used for the benefit of people, yes.

India have dropped their mantra of protectionism and general isolation massively over the past 20 years. Why do you think they've got loads more money and a space programme all of a sudden?

China and India, the worlds largest and sixth largest economy are both big on tariffs; free trade is not the only thing that countries do.

I am sure the Conservatives would love you to believe tariffs are bad, the USA do tariffs too. Are tariffs bad, I dont know, but can they be used for the benefit of people, yes.

In general tariffs are bad because they discourage free trade which lowers the overall amount of trade done. Not much different from any other taxes.

I think when Trump arrives at the White House theirs going to be lots of fun and games with him very much an lose cannon. Trump's vision for America is one of his youth protection policies are a part of this vision but reality of global trading will make this vision impossible. He's got four years to have a go and prove anyone was wrong ( or right) go for it Trump!

Wasnt it the Conservatives that raised VAT?

Wha's your point?

---------- Post added 15-01-2017 at 22:36 ----------

I think when Trump arrives at the White House theirs going to be lots of fun and games with him very much an lose cannon. Trump's vision for America is one of his youth protection policies are a part of this vision but reality of global trading will make this vision impossible. He's got four years to have a go and prove anyone was wrong ( or right) go for it Trump!

Not only that he appears to be doing massive tax cuts for the super rich at an attempt to do trickle down ecconomics again. Lets see if its just the rich (incluing Trump) that benefit again.

I expect the way he will get the Mexicans to pay for the wall is though tariffs.

Wha's your point?

---------- Post added 15-01-2017 at 22:36 ----------

Not only that he appears to be doing massive tax cuts for the super rich at an attempt to do trickle down ecconomics again. Lets see if its just the rich (incluing Trump) that benefit again.

I expect the way he will get the Mexicans to pay for the wall is though tariffs.

It will come out of the their aid budget I suspect over a few years. He's been telling gove how we wouldn't have voted brexit if "we didn't have to take in all those refugees". He might be right in Middlesbrough I suppose.

I wonder if he knows how many refugees we take?