Warning ! : Expect ANYTHING on the motorway..

I saw that accident too, although the police were on location and I didn't notice a van in lane 1.

Perhaps the accident had only just happened when Justin saw it??

Maybe the other van was involved or something?

One wonders what that van in the inside lane with its reversing lights on was doing........ It seemed to be trying to get back to the other van, I`m not sure because I was concentrating on driving. If so, the obvious question, is what is so important that one van has to get next to another as soon as possible by doing something so extraordinarily dangerous as reversing up the motorway ? ! ? Interesting......

---------- Post added 16-01-2017 at 11:15 ----------

Yesterday. Someone had lost all power and had stopped in lane 1 - because of course it's that oh so safe all lane running the car had nowhere to go...

I didn't see the need to post it on a forum though. I have eyes - you look for hazards drive round them as needed and carry on.

I have seen cars which are broken down on the inside lane of our "safe" non hard shoulder motorways. Not safe of course, but they are at least over on the side as far as possible, and, crucially, looking like they`re stationary. They`re also doing so without the distraction of a accident just to the left of them.

Put it all together and, like I say, I`ve never seen anything so dangerous. Pure luck that there wasn`t, apparently, a serious accident.

Edited by Justin Smith

Talking of comfy: I encountered a double mattress in the second lane of the M25 once.

Had a close encounter with a wheely bin in the middle lane of the M1 north of Leeds once. I'd just moved out to overtake an HGV at the time and only saw it at the last minute. :shocked:

Had a close encounter with a wheely bin in the middle lane of the M1 north of Leeds once. I'd just moved out to overtake an HGV at the time and only saw it at the last minute. :shocked:

It took you an entire minute to avoid it ??

I had to drive over a double extendable metal ladder once in the fast lane a few years ago in my Focus, it made a right noise!

I think it had fallen off the back of a lorry a few cars in front of us, so very little warning and because it was lying width-wise across the lane there was no way to avoid it.

I could have sworn I had a flat tyre and the car was pulling sideways immediately after, but checks showed nothing wrong with my car at all - it was all in the mind! :D

I had to drive over a double extendable metal ladder once in the fast lane a few years ago in my Focus, it made a right noise!

I think it had fallen off the back of a lorry a few cars in front of us, so very little warning and because it was lying width-wise across the lane there was no way to avoid it.

I could have sworn I had a flat tyre and the car was pulling sideways immediately after, but checks showed nothing wrong with my car at all - it was all in the mind! :D

I was driving down the M1 on the stretch between Chesterfield and Nottingham doing around 80 when I saw something silver in the middle of my lane, luckily I had time to safely move over the right lane but as I passed it, it was a full ladder. It would have made a right mess of my car and could've caused a huge accident. I called the police (from my hands free kit) straight away.

One wonders what that van in the inside lane with its reversing lights on was doing........ It seemed to be trying to get back to the other van, I`m not sure because I was concentrating on driving. If so, the obvious question, is what is so important that one van has to get next to another as soon as possible by doing something so extraordinarily dangerous as reversing up the motorway ? ! ? Interesting......

---------- Post added 16-01-2017 at 11:15 ----------

I have seen cars which are broken down on the inside lane of our "safe" non hard shoulder motorways. Not safe of course, but they are at least over on the side as far as possible, and, crucially, looking like they`re stationary. They`re also doing so without the distraction of a accident just to the left of them.

Put it all together and, like I say, I`ve never seen anything so dangerous. Pure luck that there wasn`t, apparently, a serious accident.

All thats missing is that you failed to mention the van was a Mercedes...

Hyperbole, drama, bit of this and that and I cant beleive it. Really...?

It's a van trying to get off the motorway one suspects. And if you really think that a stationary car in one lane is dangerous I'd hate to see you deal with a queue of cars ahead when they are ALL stationary...

Or a French HGV going the wrong way.

Or a crash on the other side that comes through the central barriers and onto your side....

Or exploding gas cylinders on a Calor gas truck...

but wow - stationary van with reverse lights one.... be sure to watch for them I will.