Free Wi Fi plan for city centre.

I meant they don't take my data and sell it to advertisers. So better to use that than the free wifi which would steal my data.

yes they do they all do it if not your provider then your phone or search engine gathers the data and targets specific advertisement to you

Sheffields free bus was free. You get on without questions and along you go. It disappeared because it was free.

This proposed Wi-Fi will only do little miserable things like check the weather or email as these so called free Wi-Fi don't allow you to watch video or download soundtracks at all moaning that you can only have a tiny little bit of limited Wi-Fi for free. As soon as you try to use youtube or listen to some music you get blocked from them.

Guest makapaka
Sheffields free bus was free. You get on without questions and along you go. It disappeared because it was free.

This proposed Wi-Fi will only do little miserable things like check the weather or email as these so called free Wi-Fi don't allow you to watch video or download soundtracks at all moaning that you can only have a tiny little bit of limited Wi-Fi for free. As soon as you try to use youtube or listen to some music you get blocked from them.

I don't think the intention is for you to be able to drive in to town and download your favourite box set though.....

I don't think the intention is for you to be able to drive in to town and download your favourite box set though.....

In that case it should be called limited free Wi-Fi with limitations.

On some busses you get Wi-Fi, all my respect when this is limited because they are not claiming it is free.

Guest makapaka
In that case it should be called limited free Wi-Fi with limitations.

On some busses you get Wi-Fi, all my respect when this is limited because they are not claiming it is free.

Maybe it will be. Maybe you will be able to download box sets - either way it's more than you can do currently.

yes they do they all do it if not your provider then your phone or search engine gathers the data and targets specific advertisement to you

depends what options you setup, whether you use ad-blockers and which apps you use (e.g I don't use the Facebook app because it wants to get all kinds of information that is none of its business and the Facebook website in the browser cannot access that information as far as I know)

Maybe it will be. Maybe you will be able to download box sets - either way it's more than you can do currently.

I would have more respect if they called it sheffields open public Wi-Fi network than throwing the word FREE in it. That word "free" has been abused a lot in this society and has lost all its meaning to me in todays business culture that smiles at you and says, come on, its free. While with the other hand around your back they lock you in costly commitments.

Sheffield Open Wi-Fi sounds a lot more honest and better to me as a project name for a public open city centre Wi-Fi system.

Guest makapaka
I would have more respect if they called it sheffields open public Wi-Fi network than throwing the word FREE in it. That word "free" has been abused a lot in this society and has lost all its meaning to me in todays business culture that smiles at you and says, come on, its free. While with the other hand around your back they lock you in costly commitments.

Sheffield Open Wi-Fi sounds a lot more honest and better to me as a project name for a public open city centre Wi-Fi system.

Okay - i suppose that's better than your previous suggestion of "limited wi-fi with limitations" which I think might have been hard to get off the ground.

Has anyone even talked about what it will be called / what level of service will be provided yet? It's a bit early to get bogged down in the detail isn't it.

I think the principal is sound and it should be encouraged at this stage.