Free Wi Fi plan for city centre.

Sheffields free bus was free. You get on without questions and along you go. It disappeared because it was free.

This proposed Wi-Fi will only do little miserable things like check the weather or email as these so called free Wi-Fi don't allow you to watch video or download soundtracks at all moaning that you can only have a tiny little bit of limited Wi-Fi for free. As soon as you try to use youtube or listen to some music you get blocked from them.

But it wasn't free, who paid for the vehicle, fuel, maintenance, drivers wages, insurance, excise duty and upkeep of the bus??? Us in the form of council tax. Very much in the same way that Sheffield Transport Dept was heavily subsidised in the 70's by the exorbitantly high rates in Sheffield. It was never 'cheap' unless you were a council tenant and you didn't pay rates, but somebody had to foot the bill, private house owners.

I have mistakenly started to bicker over the word free because it was mentioned in the topic. As soon as I see that word I get on my guard because modern business use that word like cheese in a trap to get you.

To me Free has changed to we give with one hand but take it all back with the other round your back.

We are talking about Sheffield open WiFi network. It's not cheap, we lost Sheffield city bus to save money, if they want to spend it again WiFi is a great option.

Guest makapaka
But it wasn't free, who paid for the vehicle, fuel, maintenance, drivers wages, insurance, excise duty and upkeep of the bus??? Us in the form of council tax. Very much in the same way that Sheffield Transport Dept was heavily subsidised in the 70's by the exorbitantly high rates in Sheffield. It was never 'cheap' unless you were a council tenant and you didn't pay rates, but somebody had to foot the bill, private house owners.

Your council tax doesn't pay for the buses.

Lol@ the moaning minnies. Moan if the council doesnt do anything, they come up with a good idea (should have been done years ago) and you still find ways to make it into a negative.

Small town mentality, always will be behind the times and moan when we try to progress.

Small town mentality, always will be behind the times and moan when we try to progress.

That is what I love about Sheffield, it is better to be behind than entering the global race to be the first all the time.

We are still on a small data package with our provider and can manage without exceeding the limits but an open city WF network would make us use internet more often to book tickets for theatre, check what's on cinema, book a taxi, compare store items/prices with amazon and ebay. Check the rain radar.

If someone were to peep along and collect data to see what plays we see or what movies we like they can also get that info from feedback I leave online.

That is what I love about Sheffield, it is better to be behind than entering the global race to be the first all the time.

We are still on a small data package with our provider and can manage without exceeding the limits but an open city WF network would make us use internet more often to book tickets for theatre, check what's on cinema, book a taxi, compare store items/prices with amazon and ebay. Check the rain radar.

If someone were to peep along and collect data to see what plays we see or what movies we like they can also get that info from feedback I leave online.

We don't have to be first as that's London's title for obvious reasons but neither do I want us as a city to be last. What incentive would tourists have to visit us if they have already been to the cities who were at the front of the queue when it comes to advancements and improvements ?