Narrow mindedness

KidPhunk

Is it just me or have most clubbers or late bar attendees become really narrow minded when it comes to music? I play at a few places in Sheff and always try and be a bit different but all I get is abuse from people who just want tunes they know all night!! Wheres the fun in that?? I'm all for playing the odd classic in with some new stuff, but everytime I try and push it abit I'm jumped on for being a rubbish DJ, isn't it nice to be introduced to new stuff every now and again?? - I used to really love playing out but i fear I'm losing the drive i once had for it - any views or similar attitudes??

For the very small number of people who feel it necessary to reveal their utterly retarded music tastes with seriously misplaced criticism, there will be many more who are enjoying your music. The best attitude is to just not care (well, care about doing a good job, but don't care about people who think you aren't). In fact, they don't even think anyway. They're a bunch of muppets. Well, apart from the ones you're trying to entertain, which, er, should be everyone.

It's a tough old game, son.

I know its a tough old game but I've been playing out for a fair few years now and used to be really confident in trying new stuff even some of my own stuff but now I always seem to be forced into the classic bloody medley at some point in the night - I keep getting told that if i was playing in london or somewhere like I'd go down a storm every time - I dunno I love sheffield but am losing heart big time!

I know its a tough old game but I've been playing out for a fair few years now and used to be really confident in trying new stuff even some of my own stuff but now I always seem to be forced into the classic bloody medley at some point in the night - I keep getting told that if i was playing in london or somewhere like I'd go down a storm every time - I dunno I love sheffield but am losing heart big time!:(

definately a tricky one but as def_stef said, those with an open mind will really appreciate the new stuff.....Having said that, the last time we saw you at Takka you played Tone Loc's 'Wild Thing' which I hadn't heard in years....magic!! :thumbsup:

I know its a tough old game but I've been playing out for a fair few years now and used to be really confident in trying new stuff even some of my own stuff but now I always seem to be forced into the classic bloody medley at some point in the night - I keep getting told that if i was playing in london or somewhere like I'd go down a storm every time - I dunno I love sheffield but am losing heart big time!:(

It's always nice to hear that compliment from your crowd. Why not send out some CDs to nights in other cities or set up a site with regular podcasts? Seriously, though: keep doing what you're doing in Shef. Bar DJing can be really soul destroying wherever you are - it's those magic little parties and special events that make it all worthwhile. And never feel forced to play a certain style. Don't play safe. Remember what Moodymann said: "if this thing becomes a job for me, I'm doing it for the wrong reasons, you dig?"

Hey Stef

I'd love to try something in other cities its lack of contacts tho - i was trying for ages to get in at friends and family in manchester - but no luck just a 'quality CD mate we'll be in touch' I tried and tried but they ended up ignoring me - it seems the kind of nights I wanna get involved with are just too clicky - I'm working on a website at the mo for new sets and new productions etc so fingers crossed that'll give it the injection it needs!!

You still doing your thang at lescar???

Is it just me or have most clubbers or late bar attendees become really narrow minded when it comes to music? I play at a few places in Sheff and always try and be a bit different but all I get is abuse from people who just want tunes they know all night!! Wheres the fun in that?? I'm all for playing the odd classic in with some new stuff, but everytime I try and push it abit I'm jumped on for being a rubbish DJ, isn't it nice to be introduced to new stuff every now and again?? - I used to really love playing out but i fear I'm losing the drive i once had for it - any views or similar attitudes??

sheffield has always been fairly narrow minded. will stay that way but the worst thing that happens and really annoys me is after you've played an hour someone will come up and ask "got any niche tunes?":suspect: :rant::gag:

Archived