Conservative-led Surrey County Council plans 15% council tax hike

possibly, but why is that a problem?

It's an anomoly. SCC describes council tax as 'to provide benefits and services for the whole community'. Paying the pension of an employee doesn't do either, and if you want to argue that it does as it is part of the employee's enumeration package to enable those services, then by that definition Council Tax should pay for their salary as well.

It's an anomoly. SCC describes council tax as 'to provide benefits and services for the whole community'. Paying the pension of an employee doesn't do either, and if you want to argue that it does as it is part of the employee's enumeration package to enable those services, then by that definition Council Tax should pay for their salary as well.

It's difficult to "provide benefits and services for the whole community" without employing people to provide them.

The problem could be sorted out very quickly by a program of extermination.

Choose an age, say 70, and euthanize everyone over that age.

There would be an outcry at first, but it would soon die down if everyone left was given a one off payment towards a new car or something.

Think of the money saved in pensions etc.

Of course this would not apply to the monarchy and the rich.

Oh dear me no.

Only to those revolting old people.

please

Could you shift the age to 90?

Gives me a bit of time to spend all my money!

please

Could you shift the age to 90?

Gives me a bit of time to spend all my money!

Legalising euthanasia would probably take a significant amount of pressure off the NHS (and elderly care in general).

If I developed an illness in old age that meant that I would have a significantly reduced quality of life I would want to be euthanised.

Legalising euthanasia would probably take a significant amount of pressure off the NHS (and elderly care in general).

If I developed an illness in old age that meant that I would have a significantly reduced quality of life I would want to be euthanised.

Get your donor card filled in.

It's difficult to "provide benefits and services for the whole community" without employing people to provide them.

... 'then by that definition Council Tax should pay for their salary as well'

---------- Post added 20-01-2017 at 21:27 ----------

Council Tax makes up about a sixth of council expenditure. Without identifying that ratio your claim is meaningless. A certain percentage of an unidentified amount could mean anything.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/316772/LGFS24_web_edition.pdf

The data on SCC's web site states that pensions are paid from Council Tax receipts, not from central government funding like wages are.

Seeing as you replied to the 50% claim in Scotland, this FOI confirms it:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/council_taxpensions

'Yes you could say that in 2008/09 an amount equivalent to about 50% of the Council tax in that year went towards pension contributions'

I believe about 60-70% of council tax goes towards paying for the care of the elderly and vulnerable children.

I have just received my annual tax summary and 25 percent of all the tax i have paid has gone on welfare as well.What really miffs me is that some of the tax i have paid is used to pay off the national debt interest.

Even if Surrey CC wins the local Referendum and its 15% increase in CT, the rate will (I am told) still be less than Sheffield's!

Even if what you've been told is true, you'd need to know the relative levels of government funding to the local authorities, levels of people exempt from paying CT, etc., to be able to judge if it was significant.