Hatty told Matty, let's don't take no chance

Let's not be l-seven, come and learn to dance

Wooly bully, wooly bully

Wooly bully, wooly bully, wooly bully

Matty told Hatty, that's the thing to do

Get you someone really to pull the wool with you

Wooly bully, wooly bully

Wooly bully, wooly bully, wooly bully

From... https://play.google.com/music/preview/Tsm7c6tsa42j7sbya4cs5kplbcy?lyrics=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=lyrics&pcampaignid=kp-lyrics

Guaranteed they used PA equipment, you could hear the music a mile away. There were commercially available 45's around 1956/7.. The first one I had was Paralyzed by Elvis on a purple HMV label.

True although I think many records up till then were only available on 78.

Any earlier than this though I would have thought they had only 78 players.

You are right about 78's of course, my mum had hundreds and my first 2 were 78's Blue Suede Shoes and Hound Dog in 1956. Apparently they were available on 45's though. Before my mum bought a radiogram, the only thing we had was a wind up gramophone. It was a beautiful piece of furniture though, in cherry wood. The good old days eh?:)

You are right about 78's of course, my mum had hundreds and my first 2 were 78's Blue Suede Shoes and Hound Dog in 1956. Apparently they were available on 45's though. Before my mum bought a radiogram, the only thing we had was a wind up gramophone. It was a beautiful piece of furniture though, in cherry wood. The good old days eh?:)

I'm puzzling as to what they were playing the records on, perhaps an output from a jukebox?

I'm puzzling as to what they were playing the records on, perhaps an output from a jukebox?

I am sure it was well thought out as it would not have been the same without the loud music, although I am sure older generations would question that. I assume it was a record player wired to a powerful amp and speakers placed around the outside of the Noah's Ark (speedway) as that was the focal point of most Fairs and usually the biggest ride. I said outside for the speakers because the music seemed louder climbing up the steps than on the ride itself.

cecil bustamente cambell hard man fe dead

Yesss! I still have that LP 'What A Hard Man Fe Dead' amongst many Prince Buster records in my collection.

I remember 'Nut Rocker' by B. Bumble & The Stingers being played at a fair - at deafening volume. It sounded great!

---------- Post added 23-01-2017 at 13:52 ----------

:cool:

A brief chronology: 45s first came out in the States in 1949, but in Britain not until 1952 (for classical music) and 1953 (for pop). In 1958, sales of 45s rose above sales of 78s, after which the big records declined very swiftly. The last 78s for the British market came out in 1960: Elvis Presley and Cliff Richard as you'd expect, but also 'Rocking Goose' by Johnny & The Hurricanes - now that's proper fairground music!