The Rutland Hotel

Spallboy

My family - with labrador! - lived in The Rutland for about 18 months in the early '60s, whilst waiting for some house purchase legalities to be completed.

From what I remember, there were a lot of long-term residents there, outnumbering 'normal' visitors staying for a few nights.

One of the nice residents was an elderly lady - Mrs.Price, perhaps?- who owned a really select dress shop in Broomhill.

It looks like the next-door houses are joined now, but in those days they were still separate buildings : some of the staff were housed there.

I was only 11/12 at the time, so I can't help you regarding the actual history of the place, except it was a bit 'old-fashioned' (or 'traditional', depending on your point of view!), so I suspect it had been trading as an hotel for some years....

My family - with labrador! - lived in The Rutland for about 18 months in the early '60s, whilst waiting for some house purchase legalities to be completed.

From what I remember, there were a lot of long-term residents there, outnumbering 'normal' visitors staying for a few nights.

One of the nice residents was an elderly lady - Mrs.Price, perhaps?- who owned a really select dress shop in Broomhill.

It looks like the next-door houses are joined now, but in those days they were still separate buildings : some of the staff were housed there.

I was only 11/12 at the time, so I can't help you regarding the actual history of the place, except it was a bit 'old-fashioned' (or 'traditional', depending on your point of view!), so I suspect it had been trading as an hotel for some years....

Oh I say, be a good chap and do pass the Grey Poupon! Mater's busy at the moment! :)

Edited by trastrick

The Rutland Hotel is actually 6 houses that have been carefully linked together by the use of bridges and 'infill' extensions. The houses are located in a triangular area flanked by St Marks Crescent, Glossop Road and Broomfield Road.

4 of the houses are on Glossop Road and 2 are on Broomfield Road. Not actually sure of the dates but I would imagine these were all linked together sometime in the 1960's. The interesting one is the 'infill' building between the two houses on Broomfield Road. A 'blue' brick has been used which is in contrast to the stone of the rest of the buildings. This section of the hotel had numerous single rooms and I think that they were built to attract the many businessmen visiting the successful steel and engineering companies of the city in the 1960 / 70's. (I say businessmen because I doubt there were many single business women in those days.)

There is a seventh house on the opposite side of Broomfoeld Road. This used to be the Gregg School of Shorthand(?) of which there is a large thread on Sheffield Forum. Not sure if this is still owned by the Rutland.

If ever a building could be compared to Dr Who's tardis then it is the Rutland. From the outside it appears to be approx. a 30 bedroom property and yet with 90 bedrooms it was only 12 bedrooms smaller than the Grosvenor House Hotel.