Help: commuting by train from sheffield

Alternatively: don't IT firms allow working from home? If not, why not? Isn't that part of IT's point?

Depends on what "IT". It is a broad subject. What about on site technicians employed to help people who don't have the time or skills to be talked through things on the phone?

Alternatively: don't IT firms allow working from home? If not, why not? Isn't that part of IT's point?

Some do, most don't in my experience. Or they do, but only on an ad hoc basis, when you can justify it.

Working from home isn't a point of IT at all. IT exists to enable business function, selling, buying, making things. It's something that IT can enable, but only if the company management wishes it.

And the problem is that it requires a slightly different way of working and a change in mindset. Some managers don't believe that anyone is working unless they're in the office (old fashioned, but that's how they think), and communication is less effective if you aren't co-located (although manageable with a small effort).

I agree about an hour for the train journey element is OK and sustainable for a good length of time. Maybe 80 mins would be fine as you are on top of the station. 2 hours (e.g. London) is too much for a daily 5-day commute but also OK if you are more flexible.

Cost of tickets is another factor. I think of Leeds, Mcr and Nottm as all roughly an hour away (yes I know the exact timings differ, but not by that much) but Manchester always seems the most expensive. So check the season ticket prices.

One hour I think. Two hours for London I think. If have good job, it is worth extra travel.

2 hours to London is only the case if as Bilge said you live on top of the train station (which in Sheffield isn't that nice an area).

For everyone else you have to factor in getting there, which could be 30 mins on the tram, or a 30 mins drive for many people.

And then when you get to St Pancras, well, most jobs in London aren't actually in the train station, so add on another 30 mins on the tube, and suddenly that 2 hr journey has become 3 hours each way, you're spending nearly as much time travelling as you are actually working!

2 hours to London is only the case if as Bilge said you live on top of the train station (which in Sheffield isn't that nice an area).

For everyone else you have to factor in getting there, which could be 30 mins on the tram, or a 30 mins drive for many people.

And then when you get to St Pancras, well, most jobs in London aren't actually in the train station, so add on another 30 mins on the tube, and suddenly that 2 hr journey has become 3 hours each way, you're spending nearly as much time travelling as you are actually working!

Unless the train has an outer-London stop from where local service goes where you want to go.