Help: commuting by train from sheffield

I have the option of commuting to Nottingham or Leeds in 2020.

I'd rather take a £10k pay cut and avoid the journey.

Agreed.

I've done Leeds from Sheffield, and it was a nightmare for me, in my situation.

If you're a single person with no family, great, go for it.

As a man with a young child, I had to catch the train to Leeds at 7.04am (I don't know if times remain the same as they were 5 years ago). That meant leaving the house at 6.30, and getting up at latest at 5.45am. The later trains weren't the direct trains, so took longer, and didn't get me in at the right time.

The 7.04 got you in at 8am, which meant a steady walk up to work from the station in Leeds.

The return journey was hideous. The 5.10pm was always, always over capacity. Seats were impossible, and often I'd end up stood or squished on a luggage rack. It was late about 75% of the time, and about 30% of the time didn't turn up at all.

I'd generally get back into Sheffield at about 6.25, so home by 7pm. That meant I'd rarely see my young child during the week, tea time would be difficult, and it wasn't fun doing 14 hour days effectively, due to travel.

It might have improved, but from a personal viewpoint, I'd rather earn slightly less and work in Sheffield.

Oh and the season ticket was really pricey!!

Just my experience there. Others may have liked it slightly better. There are certainly more jobs in Leeds than Sheffield, in my sector anyway, but it's not worth the hassle, unless there's no option.

When I worked at SHU a few people did the train commute York to Sheffield with a cycle ride into York in the morning and the short walk across from Sheffield.

On the right train it can be quicker than Leeds or Manchester. In fact some of them were getting in quicker than those who were driving from West Sheffield and parking 15 mins away.

None. Unless he was classing Luton/Bedford/Stevenage as "outer London" which is a bit of a stretch.

That's what I thought, but I was hoping he could answer.

---------- Post added 08-02-2017 at 21:03 ----------

Agreed.

I've done Leeds from Sheffield, and it was a nightmare for me, in my situation.

If you're a single person with no family, great, go for it.

As a man with a young child, I had to catch the train to Leeds at 7.04am (I don't know if times remain the same as they were 5 years ago). That meant leaving the house at 6.30, and getting up at latest at 5.45am. The later trains weren't the direct trains, so took longer, and didn't get me in at the right time.

The 7.04 got you in at 8am, which meant a steady walk up to work from the station in Leeds.

The return journey was hideous. The 5.10pm was always, always over capacity. Seats were impossible, and often I'd end up stood or squished on a luggage rack. It was late about 75% of the time, and about 30% of the time didn't turn up at all.

I'd generally get back into Sheffield at about 6.25, so home by 7pm. That meant I'd rarely see my young child during the week, tea time would be difficult, and it wasn't fun doing 14 hour days effectively, due to travel.

It might have improved, but from a personal viewpoint, I'd rather earn slightly less and work in Sheffield.

Oh and the season ticket was really pricey!!

Just my experience there. Others may have liked it slightly better. There are certainly more jobs in Leeds than Sheffield, in my sector anyway, but it's not worth the hassle, unless there's no option.

After trying the train once, I just changed to driving. Leave at 0650, park by 0800, leave the office at 1600, home by 1730 (1700 on a good day).

Given that it takes 30 mins to reach the train station on the tram, I'd be halfway to Leeds in the car whilst on public transport I wouldn't have even left Sheffield.

I can tell you that the London train from Sheffield stops nowhere after Peterborough. So unless you have an office at St Pancras or within walking distance, you'll be catching the tube once you reach London.

And Luton is a town 15 miles north of the M25, it's not part of London, my point stands, commuting to London from the majority of Sheffield to the majority of London destinations would be a 3+ hr trip one way. 6 hours a day commuting is not a sensible way to live.