What if we had an Justice system based on guilty until proven innocent

Off the top of my head, the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners in China is a recent example of how a dictatorship might treat its civilians. Though they all may be guilty of practising Falun Gong, which seems to be a crime only in China, the state's priority, I believe, was for them to be seen to be in charge. There are countless examples of this type of thing since the Chinese Communist Revolution. People were thought of as guilty if their parents had 'bourgeois' parentage. When the Red Guard went about their public humiliations and violence against anything resembling 'anti-party' I doubt they went about searching for evidence. Like you say, they bent the rules and lowered the threshold. In this case, the threshold was whatever the individuals wanted it to be. The real fear, from people on either side of the punishments, was to be thought of as anti-party.

Can't think of any more off the top of my head. Maybe we could go to Africa. Mugabe doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to be thinking, 'Now people aren't stupid and will realise if I'm not gathering evidence to prove the guilt of people I want to bump off, therefore I'm going to fabricate some evidence.' It might be true if it has some international ramifications, I guess.

Can you give me any examples of this?

'Dictators much prefer innocence till proven guilty and then lowering the threshold, bending the rules or fabricating the evidence.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_Trials

Moscow show trials by Stalin, they seem bent as a nine bob note. Fabricated evidence, foced confessions etc. The importance of show trials is to show the state as protector and the defendants as guilty. It doesnt suit them as presumed guilty when it looks better if they have the illusion of pleading no guilty, but are then given a trial (bent) and proven guilty. You get the propaganda victory, that you gave them a fair chance and they lost.

That kind of thing happened in China too. Funny, I was just wishing I had added 'in party politics' alongside international ramifications.

Anyhow, I'm glad we got that sorted and you agree with me. I knew I was right all along.

See ya'.

Dont think we did, but nvm. Beats the stupid brexit thread.