Do The Owls need Jordan Rhodes? Signing now confirmed

1295galaxy

Yes I agree with that, Winnall is reasonable at this level but the signing of Fox is a strange one.

Suppose time will tell, there's always loads of rumours around this time of year and it's hard to decipher which ones are complete made up rubbish and which ones are genuine.

I just wonder what has changed since Carlos last commented on the Rhodes situation where he said it wasn't possible due to FFP rules amongst other things, I'm not saying it won't happen I think Middlesbrough are playing games and are desperate to unload him but determined to recover as much as possible. Leaking so called bids to newspapers is a good way to get other clubs attention.

I must be missing something here, our strikers have scored thirty one times in twenty seven league games and we don,t need JR, get real. His record of 155 goals in 283 appearance at this level cannot be dismissed. This club no longer has to shop in the bargain basement, our chairman has set the bar and has shown he is prepared to spend, i appreciate the present strikers have not always got the service, but when they have chances have gone begging. This season up to now has been a an improvement on what we achieved last season and i am sure that if we do bring in JR we will have the firepower to take that one more step. He scored six in fourteen to to take Middlesborough up, was he worth twelve million, of course he was. Only goals will get us promotion a player is available who has been there and done it , i say it would be a no brainer not to bring him in,and just maybe he can do it for us.

To be honest - yes you are.

it's the creativity (or lack of) that has been a huge issue this season.

It's OK splashing out on a player with a brilliant record but that counts for nothing if we don't play to his strengths!

But I'd still be very happy if we got him thought

Edited by senwar

I just wonder what has changed since Carlos last commented on the Rhodes situation where he said it wasn't possible due to FFP rules amongst other things, I'm not saying it won't happen I think Middlesbrough are playing games and are desperate to unload him but determined to recover as much as possible. Leaking so called bids to newspapers is a good way to get other clubs attention.

At that time 'Boro were allegedly wanting £12m the current "offer" is rumoured to be £8m + add ons, thats whats changed (assuming theres truth in any of it).

Edited by top4718

To be honest - yes you are.

it's the creativity (or lack of) that has been a huge issue this season.

It's OK splashing out on a player with a brilliant record but that counts for nothing if we don't play to his strengths!

But I'd still be very happy if we got him thought

Your last line say,s it all.

At that time 'Boro were allegedly wanting £12m the current "offer" is rumoured to be £8m + add ons, thats whats changed (assuming theres truth in any of it).

There's all sorts of figures being thrown around one newspaper yesterday which also claimed Wednesday had made an £8m bid stated Middlesbrough wanted the £9m they paid for him back, every other report I've ever seen says they paid £12m for him so it's hardly reliable reading.

Maybe it’s just me but I’m not overly confident that he’s the answer to our goalscoring problems.

At the end of the day there are two managers involved here, one Carlos who will most likely only ever seen him play on television and who will have no idea what his attitude is like in training and how he compares to other strikers.

The second is Karanka who has an excellent pedigree and who sees him every day in training and clearly he doesn’t think he’s good enough as he can’t get in a team who are struggling to score goals.

Out of the two I’d back the judgement of the Middlesbrough manager and to pay the amount being quoted seems madness to me without even mentioning that creativity is our problem this year.

Get Hooper back fit and we wouldn’t need Rhodes and use the 8-10 million to find a creative midfielder or winger.

Maybe it’s just me but I’m not overly confident that he’s the answer to our goalscoring problems.

At the end of the day there are two managers involved here, one Carlos who will most likely only ever seen him play on television and who will have no idea what his attitude is like in training and how he compares to other strikers.

The second is Karanka who has an excellent pedigree and who sees him every day in training and clearly he doesn’t think he’s good enough as he can’t get in a team who are struggling to score goals.

Out of the two I’d back the judgement of the Middlesbrough manager and to pay the amount being quoted seems madness to me without even mentioning that creativity is our problem this year.

Get Hooper back fit and we wouldn’t need Rhodes and use the 8-10 million to find a creative midfielder or winger.

I have to say, why do they want to get rid of him in the first place? It seems to me that he's not even been given a chance to prove himself! Surely he'd have something to offer in the PL. I think he's as good as Charlie Austin for Southampton.

Have the Owls got stronger or the league got weaker? I think the latter. A side from the top six, the rest don't seem to be wanting promotion. Even Newcastle are beatable, losing 7 times already. Leeds aren't doing too badly but I can't think of any other club a side from Brighton who are stronger. Compared to last season, I believe the leagues weaker.

I do however expect you to make a serious promotion challenge between now and May. I think you'll get that 2nd spot... even more so if you sign Jordan Rhodes... it would be a disaster if you didn't get promoted if you signed him.

It wouldn't be a disaster if Wednesday didn't get promoted with Rhodes in the side, the club will not break FFP to purchase him so the fee they pay would be within the rules, it would then be fantastic to have a player of his calibre from the off, you seem to claim the league is weaker than last season, the fact that a side in the top two has been beaten seven times shows its more competitive than ever.