Ju Jitsu for everyday

Hi there,

I recently visited Castle Martial Arts Academy and it looked really good. Nice staff and well organised. But there were 2 buts for me: the beginners course was only twice a week for only an half hour, and it was 400 pounds for 6 months (I think very expensive).

Does anyone know a ju jitsu club where you can train everyday? Would be great!

Thanks!

I used to go to castle, it's a good place but I'm afraid it is very money oriented. I went through a period of training more or less every day, just going to different clubs - that way you get a much better view of a range of styles as well and can take out what works best for you.

It's very tiring though, I doubt you'd keep up more than three - four days for an extended period, depending how strenous the classes are anyway... I suppose some traditional classes might not be too bad.

Anyway, clubs I can recommend:

Brazilian Jujitsu at the 393 club on Langsett Road, Hillsborough - Mon 6-7.30, Wed 6-8, Sun 11-(can't remember how long). 5 pounds a class. Also a BJJ club in Dronfield / Norton if that's any nearer for you.

AFK Kickboxing across from the Devonshire cat pub / Victoria Halls in town. Quite a lot of classes here, also at Hallam Uni. 4 pounds a class.

Brian Aikens is good for traditional jujitsu, near Decathlon in town. Used to run classes pretty much every day but I don't know if he still does.

There's a new JKD club in town, I've trained once with the instructor in a different venue and it was a good class, I might pop down to the new club some time.

The wicker muay thai club is quite good too, but the beginners classes are insanely busy and don't get much personal attention, not sure I'd recommend that for first time martial artists.

And the Sheffield Judo Club is very good, can't remember where they train nowadays.

Capoeira at the Sheffield University club is great fun, think it'll be off for the summer now though - still classes in Rotherham.

Details for all the clubs I've mentioned can be found in other threads in this section.

Yeah, there's lots anyway. What you'd be best doing is trying a few clubs and going back to the ones you like... Generally, it depends what you're looking for but if you're wanting to be a good all round fighter, I'd really recommend training in a few styles, I haven't found a single style that does everything I want yet (believe me I've tried a few), and taking what works for you from each one is a much better strategy. (Also the conclusion Bruce Lee came to, as have most modern professional MMA fighters). Think you'll be a bit optimistic with training every day though, and on a pay-per-class basis that'll add up. There might be some places where you can pay per month and go every day, I don't know... again, don't think this would be the best long term strategy for your martial arts development though, personally.

half an hour, that's rubbish.

If you're interested in traditional JJ, then the university class is 2 hrs, 3 times a week for £2/session (£3.50 on wednesday).

You also need insurance after the first 2 weeks, which is £20/year, a Gi, about £25 from a sports shop and club membership £5/year.

And the Sheffield Judo Club is very good, can't remember where they train nowadays.

I've listed some info below on some Sheffield Judo clubs, I have been to a few sessions with each but the uni one is where I regularly train. They are all good.

From 'The Bristish Judo Association' website (http://www.britishjudo.org.uk).

(Mods: there are emails & phone numbers here but only what is alreay in the public domain via the BJA website).

E.I.S. JUDO CLUB SHEFFIELD

Training times: Monday 18:30:00 - 21:30:00

Phone: 0114 269 5675

Contact name: ELAINE PARKINSON

SHEFFIELD JUDO CLUB (DaFoot - I believe this to be 925 Grimesthorpe Road)

Training times: Men & Women Wednesday 20:15:00 - 22:00:0

Boys & Girls Tuesday 18:45:00 - 20:15:00

Phone: 0796 225 6035

Email: oliverdubblegg@aol.com

Contact name: ANDREW THEAKER

UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD JUDO CLUB

Training times: Men & Women Tuesday& Thursday 20:00:00 -

Phone: 07914 260 379

Email: judo@sheffield.ac.uk

Contact name: SIMEON CARE

I used to go to castle, it's a good place but I'm afraid it is very money oriented. I went through a period of training more or less every day, just going to different clubs - that way you get a much better view of a range of styles as well and can take out what works best for you.

It's very tiring though, I doubt you'd keep up more than three - four days for an extended period, depending how strenous the classes are anyway... I suppose some traditional classes might not be too bad.

Anyway, clubs I can recommend:

Brazilian Jujitsu at the 393 club on Langsett Road, Hillsborough - Mon 6-7.30, Wed 6-8, Sun 11-(can't remember how long). 5 pounds a class. Also a BJJ club in Dronfield / Norton if that's any nearer for you.

AFK Kickboxing across from the Devonshire cat pub / Victoria Halls in town. Quite a lot of classes here, also at Hallam Uni. 4 pounds a class.

Brian Aikens is good for traditional jujitsu, near Decathlon in town. Used to run classes pretty much every day but I don't know if he still does.

There's a new JKD club in town, I've trained once with the instructor in a different venue and it was a good class, I might pop down to the new club some time.

The wicker muay thai club is quite good too, but the beginners classes are insanely busy and don't get much personal attention, not sure I'd recommend that for first time martial artists.

Capoeira at the Sheffield University club is great fun, think it'll be off for the summer now though - still classes in Rotherham.

Details for all the clubs I've mentioned can be found in other threads in this section.

Yeah, there's lots anyway. What you'd be best doing is trying a few clubs and going back to the ones you like... Generally, it depends what you're looking for but if you're wanting to be a good all round fighter, I'd really recommend training in a few styles, I haven't found a single style that does everything I want yet (believe me I've tried a few), and taking what works for you from each one is a much better strategy. (Also the conclusion Bruce Lee came to, as have most modern professional MMA fighters). Think you'll be a bit optimistic with training every day though, and on a pay-per-class basis that'll add up. There might be some places where you can pay per month and go every day, I don't know... again, don't think this would be the best long term strategy for your martial arts development though, personally.

Nice one for the recommendation Crayfish.

Crayfish is right, do a stand up style (which is what AFK is) and then do a grappling style and you have a perfect mix.

Good luck in your search.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks a lot for the info guys.

every day is too much, but I would like to have the possibilty. I have done Muay Thai 6 days a week for training for a fight, so I know how hard it is.

Now with my work, there is no way I can train everyday, but I need everyday classes to fit with my shift work.

One question Cyclone, do you need to be a member of the university to join there?

Youri

No, we have lots of non student members.

Talking of which, I'll be back to training soon on thursdays as my usual thursday Judo has now stopped for students doing their exams (just got my 2nd dan yesterday btw...)

Archived