The endless march of building yet more student accommodation

Is it just me or is nearly every building in the city centre is being turned into student accommodation,

on Broad lane and Scotland street are 2 that I can think of straight away.

I went to look at a potential business building yesterday to be told by the agents its only on short term let as they are changing it to student accommodation, so I have to give up on that.

I am sure there are enough accommodation here already and the universities are still the same size, so wheres the extra students heading to?

What about just normal flats for first time buyers instead?

I just don't get it.

Is it just me or is nearly every building in the city centre is being turned into student accommodation,

I went to look at a potential business building yesterday to be told by the agents its only on short term let as they are changing it to student accommodation, so I have to give up on that.

I am sure there are enough accommodation here already and the universities are still the same size, so wheres the extra students heading to?

I just don't get it.

Universities still the same size? Have you driven through Brook Hill of late? Or visited Fitzalan Square. Both Uni's are constantly expanding, either by building new or renovating old.

I just don't get it.

Probably because private investors can make more money from students.

Hope this helps.

Interestingly student accommodation does not pay council tax, I believe the city has to provide all services like dustbin collection for free. Students cost the tax payers of Sheffield quite a lot.

I think that's wrong,

From the council website

Student tenants are liable

If there is a single tenancy agreement naming everyone who lives in the property and the owner lives elsewhere.

If the persons liable for Council Tax are the tenants, then more rules are applied (presuming that all those living in the property are named on the tenancy agreement).

This includes:

All the tenants are qualifying students

Everyone named on the tenancy agreement is liable to pay Council Tax.

Interestingly student accommodation does not pay council tax, I believe the city has to provide all services like dustbin collection for free. Students cost the tax payers of Sheffield quite a lot.
......so should the council taxpayers of Sheffield subsidize the students or the Landlords?