The endless march of building yet more student accommodation

People on here are odd, would rather have rotting pubs still standing rather than someone coming along and doing something useful with the land.

You say that as if that are the only two options. That of course is rubbish, and there could be appropriate development, which is what planners should be ensuring.

You say that as if that are the only two options. That of course is rubbish, and there could be appropriate development, which is what planners should be ensuring.

What if this is the first time anyone has ever been interested in the land/building since the pub closed? You think they should just hang around until someone who isnt linked to students shows an interest? Could be waiting decades.

Stupid idea.

Very much a "we hate students" agenda on here, very sad to see. It has been demonstrated there is a demand for brand new student flats, developers are reacting to market forces. What on earth makes you say it is an inappropriate development?

Edited by Beligerence

What if this is the first time anyone has ever been interested in the land/building since the pub closed? You think they should just hang around until someone who isnt linked to students shows an interest? Could be waiting decades.

Stupid idea.

Very much a "we hate students" agenda on here, very sad to see. It has been demonstrated there is a demand for brand new student flats, developers are reacting to market forces.

I don't know what site you're referring to - possibly the Star and Garter site as that fits the description?

Either way, I'm not against student accommodation at all in principle - I'm against a completely inappropriate 16 storey tower block. If the development was for an appropriately sized student block I wouldn't mind at all.

I don't know what site you're referring to - possibly the Star and Garter site as that fits the description?

Either way, I'm not against student accommodation at all in principle - I'm against a completely inappropriate 16 storey tower block. If the development was for an appropriately sized student block I wouldn't mind at all.

Why is 16 storeys "inappropriate"? :confused::confused:

Sheffield is a major city. Major cities have high buildings. Apologies if this is breaking news.

Why is 16 storeys "inappropriate"? :confused::confused:

Sheffield is a major city. Major cities have high buildings.

So no matter the scale and the size of any building in Sheffield it must always be appropriate because Sheffield is a 'major' city and major cities have high buildings? We could build a 30 story tower block at the end of the some terrace in Broomhill?

It is in my opinion inappropriate because of its location in a residential area and because of its proximity to the Grade II* listed Arts Tower and Western Library buildings. Allowing a building to harm the setting of a listed asset is against paragraph 132 of the NPPF, as well as being contrary to Historic England's Good Practice Advice in Planning Note 3.

This is a view that was also taken by Historic England, the 20th Century Society, and the University of Sheffield.

So no matter the scale and the size of any building in Sheffield it must always be appropriate because Sheffield is a 'major' city and major cities have high buildings? We could build a 30 story tower block at the end of the some terrace in Broomhill?

Strawman alert. Broomhill isnt anywhere near the city centre.

It is in my opinion inappropriate because of its location in a residential area and because of its proximity to the Grade II* listed Arts Tower and Western Library buildings. Allowing a building to harm the setting of a listed asset is against paragraph 132 of the NPPF, as well as being contrary to Historic England's Good Practice Advice in Planning Note 3.

This is a view that was also taken by Historic England, the 20th Century Society, and the University of Sheffield.

Oh, I see! I assume you contacted SCC with this specific objection, or are you just pontificating on here when it is far too late?

Strawman alert. Broomhill isnt anywhere near the city centre.

Oh, I see! I assume you contacted SCC with this specific objection, or are you just pontificating on here when it is far too late?

Winter Street isn't really in the city centre though either is it. You also didn't specify that you only thought high rise buildings are appropriate in the city centre.

Of course I contacted the council. I have been in contact with the council about this for almost a year, and have also been in correspondence with the ward Councillors, Historic England, the 20th Century Society and the University of Sheffield about this matter.

Oh well, hard luck, you lost :D

Are you a local resident or just someone with far too much time on their hands? Then again you are a regular poster in the tree thread...

Why do you seem to find it so annoying that people take an interest in the area in which they live?

Clearly I wasn't alone in my viewpoint, not only did Historic England, The University of Sheffield, the 20th Century Society and all three Walkley Ward Councillors disagree, but there was a great deal of local opposition. The only letter in approval was from the person who runs the Sainsbury's.