The endless march of building yet more student accommodation

So not as a property developer who has evidently crunched the numbers, as I suspected.

I have my own opinion, from being the customer of the said product. The customer knows best, as they say.

I have a list to every student accommodation in Sheffield, and I can assure you that many still have vacancies even at this point through the academic year.

So why are more buildings needed?

I also don't know a single person who stayed in halls after their first year. Everyone moves into houses.

The idea that 'more halls = houses are freed up for the residents of Sheffield' is inane. Houses are at least £20 p/w cheaper than halls. The Maintenance Grant has also now been scrapped.

So, while halls are getting newer/flashier/more expensive, and grants/bursaries are getting cut, less and less students will be able to afford £115+ p/w for halls.

The result? Empty buildings - much like the countless empty office blocks in Sheffield (even after their developers "crunched the numbers").

:loopy: