The Great Wall of Trump.

I have never used the word "protectionism".

That's what protectionism is.

There is a difference in taxing your own people to taxing the goods of another nation. The other nation simply taxes you back, goods become more expensive, less are sold and you both lose. There are consequences on imposing tariffs.

Waste is not a zero-sum matter. We hurt the bulk of our people by making food more expensive. We hurt the poor people of the world by refusing to buy food from them. We hurt our economic growth by skewing the market into wasteful activity. The only people we don't hurt are the European farmers, who tend to be a rather wealthy bunch anyway.

Is this really what you want?

You keep putting words into my mouth, is that what they call a straw man argument.

Who is talking about tariffs on food?

---------- Post added 27-01-2017 at 17:51 ----------

Inheritance tax, the only victim-less less tax around.

I like that tax too

That's what protectionism is.

There is a difference in taxing your own people to taxing the goods of another nation. The other nation simply taxes you back, goods become more expensive, less are sold and you both lose. There are consequences on imposing tariffs.

On the contrary, its called a "multilateral trading system".

Edited by El Cid

On the contrary, the UK agreeing free trade rules with some countries, and not others, is against WTO rules.

What are you talking about? We are talking about tariffs and protectionism.

We are talking about trump imposing tariffs on Mexican goods to pay for it .

Mexico will impose tariffs on US goods in return and the overall result is less trade between the two. They will both lose. The decrease in trade will me more detrimental than any taxes raised.

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/24571/trade/impact-of-us-tariffs/

Mexico will impose tariffs on US goods in return and the overall result is less trade between the two. They will both lose. The decrease in trade will me more detrimental than any taxes raised.

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/24571/trade/impact-of-us-tariffs/

That may well be called protectionism. But nothing wrong with tariffs.

And here we go again

Tariffs skew markets and thereby mske things expensive and cause resources to be wasted.

Rather like VAT.

Its just ideological, clap trap.

We have done quite well, within the protectionist EU, as you would put it.

That may well be called protectionism. But nothing wrong with tariffs.

It depends whether you want to look at the whole picture and take decisions which benefit your country or not. Tariffs result in trade wars, which mean less trade and less prosperity for everyone.