What happens if I cancel a TV or broadband contract early?

I would like to know if anybody on SF has cancelled a TV or broadband contract early and if so how did the company react.I know there are penalty charges which are usually equal to the amount which would have to be paid until the end of the contract.What would happen if I refused to pay these charges,would the company take me to court?I have been told most of them put the matter in the hands of debt collectors,but contrary to popular opinion debt collectors have no legal powers, so it might be worth the risk.I would be interested to hear all opinions.

I would like to know if anybody on SF has cancelled a TV or broadband contract early and if so how did the company react.I know there are penalty charges which are usually equal to the amount which would have to be paid until the end of the contract.What would happen if I refused to pay these charges,would the company take me to court?I have been told most of them put the matter in the hands of debt collectors,but contrary to popular opinion debt collectors have no legal powers, so it might be worth the risk.I would be interested to hear all opinions.

It might end up in a small claims court depends on the company in question. If its only a small amount to pay off it better to pay them off if its not then it may be possible to renegotiate the contact. I've ended an contact early once I payed them off but it was only a small amount.

If you use the loss of the Discovery channels on Sky as an excuse, you should be able to end your contract early without penalty.

Ending contract early charges are on your provider's websites. If you refuse then they'll pursue the debt and the equipment.

The moment they vanish from Sky I shall be doing just this, holding fire until they vanish first though.

The moment they vanish from Sky I shall be doing just this, holding fire until they vanish first though.

You get a month after you were notified... not after they vanish.

If they say now they are gone in two months, you cant then cancel in two months you need to do it now.

I'd use the loss of the Discovery Network as an reason as they have no excuse for that.

Sky is set to loose:

Discovery Channel

TLC

Eurosport 1

Eurosport 2

Animal Planet

Investigation Discovery

DMAX

Discovery Turbo

Discovery Shed

Discovery Science

Discovery History

Home & Health

All this because they overpaid for the sodding football rights??? What a joke!!

They will put it on your credit record and if interested then they will sue you for the debt and pursue you that way. It takes six years for the entry to be removed. If as seems to ve veing suggested below its sky and loss of discovery, then they will allow you time to exit without penalty.

So do you think they should overpay for every channel ?

That seems to be the issue here.

Well they overpaid for the sport :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

The argument seems to be both sides value the channels completely differently, Sky think they're over valued and Discovery think they're too cheap.