What happens if I cancel a TV or broadband contract early?

In my experience they will chase you for the amount owing for a bit then sell the debt to a debt collection agency, who will add their fees and chase you for the sum total. If you still don't pay they may add more charges over time. Debt collection agencies are not bailiffs (although some firms do both) and have few powers to collect. If the debt is relatively small the main thing that will happen is that it will affect your credit score. If it's larger they may apply for a county court judgement.

If you don't cancel your direct debit at the same time you cancel your contract, they'll just take the amount owed via direct debit.

In my experience they will chase you for the amount owing for a bit then sell the debt to a debt collection agency, who will add their fees and chase you for the sum total. If you still don't pay they may add more charges over time. Debt collection agencies are not bailiffs (although some firms do both) and have few powers to collect. If the debt is relatively small the main thing that will happen is that it will affect your credit score. If it's larger they may apply for a county court judgement.

If you don't cancel your direct debit at the same time you cancel your contract, they'll just take the amount owed via direct debit.

Good summary. Is missing the rest of the payments worth damaging your credit score for?

I'm a big fan of motorcycle racing on Eurosport and last week I renewed imy contract with Sky, do you think I could cancel this i.e.paying for channels that are now not provided, and does anyone know if there a cooling off period?

Youd have to ask SKY, but I would expect them to make provision for people who wish to cancel.

A quick look and they have the right to change programming. there isnt yet an officual response. BT had a penalty free exit. the advice at the moment is complain and get a reduction or ask for a cancelation. Base it on the fact that station x was a key part of why you subscribed.

Edited by 999tigger

In the past when the provider has increased the price, customers have had the chance to end the contract, without any questions. It's a pity for you they haven't introduced any increases for you, in that sense, yet.

If you cite loss of channels, I think they would be acting very unreasonably if they forced you to continue, and from what I have seen of Sky, they like to keep their customers happy Good luck.

Is it just me, or is it ironic that sky helped steal our national sport from the masses, and appear to be now falling on their own sword?

You can't just "cancel" a contract because you feel like it. A contract is a contract.

If you just stopped paying without formally disputing the terms of the contract, your credit score would plummet.

Debt collectors ordered by the courts do have legal powers to take whatever they want, as long as it belongs to you (burden of proof is on you to prove that something doesn't belong to you).