What happens if I cancel a TV or broadband contract early?

I'm a big fan of motorcycle racing on Eurosport and last week I renewed imy contract with Sky, do you think I could cancel this i.e.paying for channels that are now not provided, and does anyone know if there a cooling off period?
Yes, they all have a cooling off period, read your contract mate ! For your information, eurosport online is £20 at the moment, usually £59.99. Its very good, more content than eurosport 1 and 2.As long as you have decent internet, all streams are hd. Sky hd contracts cant usually be terminated early without penalisation, sky Q contracts are different and you can get out of early without penalistaion because of this discovery channels situation. Sky hd and sky Q have a cooling off period which is standard for all tv/phone and broadband contracts. Edited by Jerky

No you just usually switch it between one house and the next.

What happens if you have cable and the area the new property is in doesn't have cable?

I'd use the loss of the Discovery Network as an reason as they have no excuse for that.

Sky is set to loose:

Discovery Channel

TLC

Eurosport 1

Eurosport 2

Animal Planet

Investigation Discovery

DMAX

Discovery Turbo

Discovery Shed

Discovery Science

Discovery History

Home & Health

All this because they overpaid for the sodding football rights??? What a joke!!

Will Sky reduce rental charges then as one of their packages includes these channels? The package I have includes the Discovery channels, the cheaper package didn't have them so as I like the Discovery channels I had to have the next package to watch them.

Edited by iansheff

But I'm selling and then looking around in a different area as a cash buyer. Suppose I'd be better approaching TalkTalk nearer the time.

I'd sack Talk Talk off altogether mate, terrible company.

What happens if you have cable and the area the new property is in doesn't have cable?

You'll get offered some crap package that probably isn't very competitive.

Will Sky reduce rental charges then as one of their packages includes these channels? The package I have includes the Discovery channels, the cheaper package didn't have them so as I like the Discovery channels I had to have the next package to watch them.

Good question, you would expect they would reduce the cost, but the cynic in me says the customers are going to get shafted :rant::rant::rant:

You can't just "cancel" a contract because you feel like it. A contract is a contract.

If you just stopped paying without formally disputing the terms of the contract, your credit score would plummet.

Debt collectors ordered by the courts do have legal powers to take whatever they want, as long as it belongs to you (burden of proof is on you to prove that something doesn't belong to you).

This is surely not relevant to the OP's situation though http://moneyaware.co.uk/2012/06/debt-collectors-are-not-bailiffs/

unless a CCJ was obtained and he didn't pay - at that point bailiffs could be involved.

Edited by Bob Arctor

Sky can say what they want but in layman's terms if the Discovery channels go there has been a significant change to the channel line up.

I think they will have to give an option to cancel early.

There are now nearly 1000 posts on their own forum on the subject many threatening to leave.

Edited by Fudbeer

You will be in breach of contract so they could pursue you through the courts, whether they will or not who knows.

Unless, as pointed out already, they breached the contract first i.e made significant changes. If they did then you could leave without penalty as it is them breaking the contract not you.

But if you just leave because you feel like it then you will still owe them the remainder of the contract. So if you still have 6 months left then you will owe them 6 months of payments. There might be other legitimate costs they could claim from you, for example if they offered free installation of equipment but only if you signed up for x amount of time they could claim that. If the matter did go to court then they could also claim court costs from you.