What happens if I cancel a TV or broadband contract early?

I would like to know if anybody on SF has cancelled a TV or broadband contract early and if so how did the company react.I know there are penalty charges which are usually equal to the amount which would have to be paid until the end of the contract.What would happen if I refused to pay these charges,would the company take me to court?I have been told most of them put the matter in the hands of debt collectors,but contrary to popular opinion debt collectors have no legal powers, so it might be worth the risk.I would be interested to hear all opinions.

I assume you would be unhappy if the other party failed to fulfil their side of the contract with you wouldn't you?!

The result would be a CCJ and a default, which will trash your credit rating for at 6 years. Personally I hope you get what you deserve.

I'm a big fan of motorcycle racing on Eurosport and last week I renewed imy contract with Sky, do you think I could cancel this i.e.paying for channels that are now not provided, and does anyone know if there a cooling off period?

Yes you have a 14 day cooling off period on a new contract.I had the same problem last year.3 weeks after renewing my Sky contract Eurosport sold the Speedway GP rights to BT,I contacted Sky and they pointed this out.

---------- Post added 30-01-2017 at 11:58 ----------

I assume you would be unhappy if the other party failed to fulfil their side of the contract with you wouldn't you?!

The result would be a CCJ and a default, which will trash your credit rating for at 6 years. Personally I hope you get what you deserve.

It must be really satisfying to have such a big Halo over your head.

You pay for sky tv 1 month in advance. You do not have a credit agreement with sky. They do not conduct credit checks on anybody ! You have a contract with sky stating that you will pay for services received, if you break your contract terms by not paying, they switch off your card. They could send debt collectors to recover the remaining balance of the contract which is also known as the cancellation fee. So basically, they can take you to court for breach of contract if you do not pay the balance to the bailiffs, a court would usually enforce the debt, meaning that if you still fail to pay the debt, your credit rating would then be affected as you are failing to comply with a court order. It is as simple as that. Oh, and you could never get another contract with sky unless you changed your name. Also your address would be flagged up as blacklisted for sky services.

Edited by Jerky

No in view of the diabolical service of most companies you need to be plain stupid.

Give me a break. Stop trying to justify your selfish actions. Sky TV may be many things but they do not supply diabolical service in any way. They wouldn't exist if they did. Stop being a self serving, sociopath. Grow up and pay your bills.