To drink on a weekend

There is no social drinking. That is the problem. There is drinking to get drunk and drinking without knowing how much is safe as against over indulging and damaging your health.

If such a small amount can impair the ability to drive then why would you want to sit at home with impaired, reduced functions.

I see alcohol consumption as a weakness. It is rare to see anyone able to literally, have a drink, and stop at that. And similar to other drugs it is a pathway to destruction and you take the first step. Sure you may go no further. But some do.

They now occupy the parks of our city armed with cheap cider. Worse they hide from society behind the curtains each evening.

I see it as a risk I'm not prepared to take.

None of this is related to moderate drinking nor is it fact.

Also, I put my health and fitness above anything else. We don't expect our athletes to be tee total for nothing. We want them to be and perform at their best. Even out of competition the consumption of alcohol will take them away from health and fitness.

This is just misinformed, as I've proven.

It's a personal choice but today people are generally overweight and not particularly fit. Furthermore, health issues are quite common as our hospitals are constantly at bursting point; same as the nation's waist lines.

Massive stereo typing and lazy logic where you attempt to conflate social drinking with being overweight and unfit.

People are lazy and make excuses. The diet will start tomorrow. It's only one. Why deny myself? Etc, etc.

I've aged well. I'm fit and healthy. I don't drink. I don't eat junk food. I'm not over weight.

I made my life choices.

Some one before me said: Choose life ............... I have.

And moralistic nonsense where you make out that the only way is your way, despite the fact that moderate drinking is actually something that reduces the risk of death.

The OH and i watched a documentary some time ago and it was based on addiction in the human brain.

It stems back to when we were swimming with the fishes and we carried that onto the land with us and what every human being craves is SALT..

It said that ALL humans are addicts in some way or another, its just genetics.. Some just have more addictive personalities than others and are more susceptible.. Some brains crave reward stimuli more than others.. Unfortunately the world we live in is rife with temptations and if you happen to be one of those susceptible to addiction and you try one of the 'naughtier' temptations, such as cigerettes, alcohol, drugs and gambling the more likely you are to have an ''problem'' with it..

Addiction manifests in all different ways, just because one of you isnt addicted to those mentioned above doesnt mean you are not susceptible to some other form of addiction, such as shopping, chocolate or some other enjoyable food, even hoarding and collecting is a form of addiction..

It was a really interesting programme and i've tried to look for it to copy the link but i can't find it.. I'll ask the OH when i get home..

Anyway, back to what you are all arguing about!!!! especially OTN, we are only just really learning, as a race what the brain is about.. no one really knows for sure and tomorrow or the next day there will be another theory... Don't be so harsh on your fellow human just because you dont understand something.. You can throw 'facts' around as much as you want but evolution and empathy is the only fact required here..

Terrible some of these comments i've read on here..

Edited by Chelle-82

Moderate drinking.

Facts: Scientific study conclusion, as follows. ' Beneficial associations between low intensity alcohol consumption and all cause mortality may in part be attributable to inappropriate selection of a referent group and weak adjustment for confounders.

Compared with never drinkers, age stratified analyses suggest that beneficial dose-response relations between alcohol consumption and all cause mortality may be largely specific to women drinkers aged 65 years or more, with little to no protection present in other age-sex groups. These protective associations may, however, be explained by the effect of selection biases across age-sex strata.

Women aged 65 and over only.

All other age groups do not benefit in any measurable, discernable manner. Little to no protection. No protection. No benefit. Nada.

What part of 'none' are you now struggling to understand?

There is no such thing as beneficial moderate drinking.Unless you're now going to argue the case for women aged 65 and over.

Pathetic!

Facts again delivering an informed argument as against empty rhetoric and anecdote.

Moderate drinking.

Facts: Scientific study conclusion, as follows. ' Beneficial associations between low intensity alcohol consumption and all cause mortality may in part be attributable to inappropriate selection of a referent group and weak adjustment for confounders.

Compared with never drinkers, age stratified analyses suggest that beneficial dose-response relations between alcohol consumption and all cause mortality may be largely specific to women drinkers aged 65 years or more, with little to no protection present in other age-sex groups. These protective associations may, however, be explained by the effect of selection biases across age-sex strata.

Women aged 65 and over only.

All other age groups do not benefit in any measurable, discernable manner. Little to no protection. No protection. No benefit. Nada.

What part of 'none' are you now struggling to understand?

There is no such thing as beneficial moderate drinking.Unless you're now going to argue the case for women aged 65 and over.

Pathetic!

Facts again delivering an informed argument as against empty rhetoric and anecdote.

It would be interesting to see the research papers that have come to those conclusions. Are you quoting from something?

There have been links to papers and meta-analyses posted on another thread about drinking which suggests a different opinion, so it would be interesting to see where that 'scientific conclusion' comes from.

I beg to differ.

There's not much call here for evidence, research papers or informed thinking.

But here's another study for you:

Moderate alcohol consumption has no positive effect on health - contrary to a number of studies - while heavy drinking doubles men's chances of dying from a stroke, research has found.

The large-scale study took place over 21 years, and while it confirmed that binge drinking is extremely bad for health, it contradicted studies showing reduced levels of heart disease among people who regularly drink a little.

There was no significant increase in the risk of heart disease among those drinking most, but men who drank more than 35 units - or 17 pints of beer - of alcohol a week had more than double the chance of dying from a stroke.

The Stroke Association, which funded the study, said the findings should raise awareness of the connection between alcohol and strokes, particularly among the young.

Professor George Davey Smith, of the department of social medicine at Bristol University, was a co-author of the paper, which appears in the British Medical Journal.

"We didn't find any benefit in low-level regular drinking," he told BBC News Online.

I beg to differ.

There's not much call here for evidence, research papers or informed thinking.

But here's another study for you:

Moderate alcohol consumption has no positive effect on health - contrary to a number of studies - while heavy drinking doubles men's chances of dying from a stroke, research has found.

The large-scale study took place over 21 years, and while it confirmed that binge drinking is extremely bad for health, it contradicted studies showing reduced levels of heart disease among people who regularly drink a little.

There was no significant increase in the risk of heart disease among those drinking most, but men who drank more than 35 units - or 17 pints of beer - of alcohol a week had more than double the chance of dying from a stroke.

The Stroke Association, which funded the study, said the findings should raise awareness of the connection between alcohol and strokes, particularly among the young.

Professor George Davey Smith, of the department of social medicine at Bristol University, was a co-author of the paper, which appears in the British Medical Journal.

"We didn't find any benefit in low-level regular drinking," he told BBC News Online.

A link to that study would be useful.

Without being able to look into it it is very hard to say if that study has any more merit than the other studies from the British Medical Journal posted on this forum which have indicated health benefits of moderate drinking.

A link to that study would be useful.

Without being able to look into it it is very hard to say if that study has any more merit than the other studies from the British Medical Journal posted on this forum which have indicated health benefits of moderate drinking.

Interesting that he has chosen to misquote the line which should read:

"We didn't find any benefit or any harm in low-level regular drinking," he told BBC News Online"

The Professor was being very specific in his conclusions from the research and he also said:

George Davey-Smith: I think there's some feasible reasons why moderate drinking may have a protective effect against coronary heart disease ... "

Edited by cgksheff