To drink on a weekend

Ten units in a bottle of wine. Six at once is a binge for women. half a bottle in one sitting is a lot but not a binge.

Drink a glass Friday night, 2 sat, 2 sun thats not unreasonable, its not binging, it's under the 14 unit a week guidlines and you have several dry days.

If you are drinking in the week as well though, then that does become an issue.

Does anyone really stick to these guidelines? I literally know no one who does. Everyone I know will openly admit a bottle a night on Friday and Saturday, and quite a few people drink more than that.

Does it interfere in any way with their daily lives? No. These are all professionals - doctors, dentists, lawyers etc.

Perhaps it's the circles people mix in, but I can say that I know of not one person close to us that would drink one glass on a Friday!

The late Richard Burton, when offered a scotch; 'A single scotch - what good is that? - two or three stiff ones, now you're talking.

He was an alcoholic who suffered from terrible illnesses from his drinking. So not sure that is great advice tbh.

I don't consider myself to have a problem, - I don't "need" a drink. I like the taste of certain types of alcohol and I enjoy a glass or two on a Friday or Saturday. I don't wake up wishing I could have a drink nor do I want one every night I come home.

Like another poster said, it's all about balance. I think I have enough dry days during the week to be able to have a couple of glasses on a weekend.

I think, in hindsight, I'd had a bad day yesterday, it was the end of a long week and I took my fiance's comments a little too personally.

To be fair pintsized you didn't actually say that having a drink was the only way you could relax, biotechpete made that assumption and then criticised you for something you didn't actually say.

If you go 4 days without having a drink and then drink at weekends you don't have a problem, that's assuming you don't massively binge drink and have accidents, relationship problems, or engage in risky behaviour e.g. Drink drive as a consequence of the drinking.

I was always a drinker ( social) but haven't touched a drop since early November last year and feel much better for it, but then I am retired. There's nothing like having a pint of good ale after a hard week at work. :hihi:

---------- Post added 30-01-2017 at 15:40 ----------

Does anyone really stick to these guidelines? I literally know no one who does. Everyone I know will openly admit a bottle a night on Friday and Saturday, and quite a few people drink more than that.

Does it interfere in any way with their daily lives? No. These are all professionals - doctors, dentists, lawyers etc.

Perhaps it's the circles people mix in, but I can say that I know of not one person close to us that would drink one glass on a Friday!

I largely agree with that but I know plenty of people who never drink or drink very little.

Conversely the drinkers I know seem oblivious to health guidelines

" every body does it " seems to be the rationalisation

---------- Post added 30-01-2017 at 15:44 ----------

"Does it interfere in any way with their daily lives ...No " How would you know ?

I think alcohol does interfere with your ability to process information therefore if you're a doctor, lawyer or dentist I'd suggest your performance would be lower than if you didn't drink.

The whole country does appear to be swimming in alcohol

I'm retired and have a pint every night around 10pm, and tonight it's been a pint of wheat beer. :thumbsup:

Just so long as it's not a whole bushel lol. I am just about to rip the cap off my first bottle, as soon as I finish typing and it's almost 3 hours to 10pm:wave: Yes I am retired too.

Just came home after a long day at work, was telling my fiance all about it. Finished it off with the comment - I feel like I need a drink now! He laughed and replied: You don't have to drink every weekend you know, we have nothing on (ie no plans with friends).

I consider my job to be fairly stressful and work load heavy at times. I rarely drink during the week, but I do enjoy a drink when it comes to the weekend. A bottle of rose or prosecco over the two nights or similar. I see it as a way to wind down and relax while watching TV or a film.

Is it so wrong of me to do this or am I being overly sensitive towards his comments due to my pants day?

I dont think the amount you say you drink is excessive at all and if you have a bad day and your way of winding down is a glass of vino or two then i say have it and enjoy it..

I dont drink during the week but i'll quite often smash a bottle of wine to myself on a friday or saturday (sometimes two!!) :o;)

Thats because you dont know enough young people andy. Vast numbers are ignoring drink and drugs now - on any day.

Squares!!! ;);)