Sir John Hurt RIP

Yes, sadly he has, of pancreatic cancer.

A great actor and a really nice guy by all accounts. He's been around since the 60s and played more than 200 roles, many of them surprising and quirky. Loved his work, especially his Quentin Crisp. He'll be very much missed.

Condolences to family. RIP Sir John Hurt.

He had such a talent for acting that was nothing short of bizarre for someone like me growing up. I couldn't understand why every character he played seemed to grab my heart out and twist it - something that continued with every magical performance. Not just a wand maker, but an outstanding sorcerer. Thank you, John Hurt, take your place with the stars.

I was very sad to read this.

I thought he was an outstanding actor - memorable in 10 Rillington Place, Midnight Express and The Elephant Man. Even in smaller roles like in Alien, and the one he did recently in Tinker Tailor he was brilliant.

Radio 4 had it on the news first thing. I happened to fall asleep with the radio on. What a great loss he is, so many important roles which I am sure made many people think twice about the situations characters found themselves facing. Perhaps his acting helped to change peoples attitudes in real life. RIP.