Sir John Hurt RIP

he was that good an actor, it's very difficult to say what his best role was. He was brilliant from the start, when he played Richard Rich in a Man for All Seasons so very well. Even if he'd have died in a car accident the day after they'd wrapped it, people would have remembered that performance, it was very good. The man was incapable of doing a bad performance.

people are going to say Elephant Man to which I would joke, put any decent actor into a costume like that, and people would think they were good. For me, it's Midnight Express. He was especially good in that one.

he was that good an actor, it's very difficult to say what his best role was. He was brilliant from the start, when he played Richard Rich in a Man for All Seasons so very well. Even if he'd have died in a car accident the day after they'd wrapped it, people would have remembered that performance, it was very good. The man was incapable of doing a bad performance.

people are going to say Elephant Man to which I would joke, put any decent actor into a costume like that, and people would think they were good. For me, it's Midnight Express. He was especially good in that one.

My favourite performances by him were as Caligula in I Cladius, and as Quentin Crisp in Naked Civil Servant, but as you say. he never gave a bad performance, and his voice was so unique you could cover him up completely( Elephant Man) but could not mistake that voice and the inner sadness that it inspired.

I think the two times he played Quentin Crisp may have been the only two times he ever got top billing. Even when he played the title role in the Elephant Man, he had to play second fiddle to Anthony Hopkins.

For those who wish to hear John, his Desert Island Discs with Roy Plomley is available - link.

He was my favourite actor too and his voice was incomparable. Never typecast, he could play any role. He will be missed but at least he left a part of him with us in all the films that he made.

RIP Sir John Hurt. :(

I think the two times he played Quentin Crisp may have been the only two times he ever got top billing. Even when he played the title role in the Elephant Man, he had to play second fiddle to Anthony Hopkins.

Wasn't he the star of the film Champions, or was that the horse lol