Hole in the road characters - what became of them?

I might be getting Subway Cyril mixed up, but wasn't he a patient at the halfway home Grenoside ( just at the top of the Wheel). Is it the same Cyril who worked as a day patient at Middlewood Hospital ?

A little bit about Cyril here that was written by hillsbro.

This would have been Cyril Griffin, a homeless and harmless down-and-out who at one time had been a skilled electrician at Firth Brown's. He had some sort of breakdown after his parents died and spent the rest of his life on the streets. He died, apparently of exposure, one cold night in December 1976 and was found in the BHS doorway; he was 52.

A little bit about Cyril here that was written by hillsbro.

This would have been Cyril Griffin, a homeless and harmless down-and-out who at one time had been a skilled electrician at Firth Brown's. He had some sort of breakdown after his parents died and spent the rest of his life on the streets. He died, apparently of exposure, one cold night in December 1976 and was found in the BHS doorway; he was 52.

Cyril from Pond Street was found in Bentleys the Vauxhall dealers showroom by the side of the Wicker Arches.

Cyril from Pond Street was found in Bentleys the Vauxhall dealers showroom by the side of the Wicker Arches.

Cyril, as in 'Subway Cyril'. Pond Street ? Wasn't that 'Nora' ? Was he really found, on the last day of his unfortunate latter life in Saville Street, a somewhat uninhabited side of town after dark ?

Cyril, as in 'Subway Cyril'. Pond Street ? Wasn't that 'Nora' ? Was he really found, on the last day of his unfortunate latter life in Saville Street, a somewhat uninhabited side of town after dark ?

I often seen Cyril in the hole in the road prior to his death and im sure hillsbro's information that Cyril died in the doorway of BHS is correct. When he died there was a very informative piece in the star giving the history of Cyril's life.

I know members of the star read this forum, imagine how great it would be to have direct access to their archives via the net.

I well remember the article in The Star. The GRO deaths index gives the date of Cyril's death as December 1976 (date of birth 19 June 1924). As far as I recall he was found in the BHS doorway but could be mistaken. The Hole in the Road was always open.

Is he still alive, Keith that is, not the baby.:D

Still going strong at 74 and lives in S5.

Was that his baby or one he'd 'borrowed' for the occasion ?
Could have been his, depending on when it was - Keith and June had two sons in 1969 and 1974. :)