Does anyone know the 'best' way to send money to South Africa?

I need to send a fairly small but not insignificant sum of money to South Africa to a relative.

It seems it's a bit of a minefield. It's just a one off sum, and unlikely to be repeated any time soon.

Googling it, it seems there's all sorts of options, but it seems to me to be catering for 'business type' transactions, which this isn't.

Can your bank simply transfer money directly into a SA bank?

I know the Post Office 'Moneygram' is an option, but it's a bit of a 'faff'.

Any words of wisdom?

Ah...'I' would but....The money isn't from me exactly, but my partner, to her daughter...And she doesn't have a paypal account, and let's face it, that's a bit faffy to set up.

Actually, I'll check if the recipient has a paypal account and I could do the transfer then...

Just looked on my Halifax app.

To transfer £1000 to South Africa would result in 16,448.10 ZAR being transferred, and Halifax debiting £1009.50 from your bank account.

So not a huge fee, I assume its the same with other banks.

You can also just ask your bank to ensure a certain number of rand is transferred, for example 20,000. They would work out the rate and then add their fee on top.

Just looked on my Halifax app.

To transfer £1000 to South Africa would result in 16,448.10 ZAR being transferred, and Halifax debiting £1009.50 from your bank account.

So not a huge fee, I assume its the same with other banks.

Well I suppose I could live with that...Anyone know if the Yorkshire Bank has such a facility?

Literally takes a couple of minutes online mate.

I just had a look in my own online banking and the fee is a flat fee of £22 or £30 regardless of how much I send...Seems a bit overboard to me. Also the quickest is one to two working days...and that's £30...Two to four days is £20

That's robbery, as I only want to send £100

I just had a look in my own online banking and the fee is a flat fee of £22 or £30 regardless of how much I send...Seems a bit overboard to me. Also the quickest is one to two working days...and that's £30...Two to four days is £20

That's robbery, as I only want to send £100

Yeah its not instant Im afraid. And the fee is a flat fee, the Halifax would also charge me £9.50 if I was wanting to send £20 to South Africa (just checked). Looks like your bank costs a bit more than mine!

Moneygram would cost you £7.90

https://www.moneygram.com/wps/portal/moneygramonline/home/estimator

Yeah its not instant Im afraid. And the fee is a flat fee, the Halifax would also charge me £9.50 if I was wanting to send £20 to South Africa (just checked). Looks like your bank costs a bit more than mine!

Moneygram would cost you £7.90

https://www.moneygram.com/wps/portal/moneygramonline/home/estimator

Yeah...I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that moneygram would be the cheapest and most instant transfer, as it happens pretty much immediately...(So it says)

Edited by PeteMorris