Mobility scooter woman Whiston.

I have noticed this lady a couple of times, she drives her mobility scooter in the road as though it is a car, this is through Whiston on the road that goes towards Worry Goose roundabout (Worry Goose lane I think). She "drives" at around 2mph but in a position on the road that you cannot get round her without performing a full over take. Today there was a person behind her that did not look confident to over take so we were literally crawling at 2mph with her holding about 20 cars up.

I drove passed at a reasonable speed and safe distance when it was my turn to pass but I wound my window down and asked "what's wrong with the pavement" she then started screaming swear words at me and making rude hand gestures, I realised then that perhaps she is mentally ill, she had a dressing gown on and the weather has been awful this morning.

I have seen her more than once now, has anyone else noticed her? Also does anyone know what the rules are regarding one of them things on the road? Should I be calling 101? It did not look safe at all but don't want to bother anyone if the lady isn't breaking any law.

I have seen her more than once now, has anyone else noticed her? Also does anyone know what the rules are regarding one of them things on the road? Should I be calling 101? It did not look safe at all but don't want to bother anyone if the lady isn't breaking any law.

101 is always a good call, not easy to drive safely chatting to a person in a vehicle next to you ;)

its possible that its legal to drive it on the road depending on the type of mobility vehicle.

https://www.gov.uk/mobility-scooters-and-powered-wheelchairs-rules/overview

some examples of what they look like here :-

http://www.thelivingcentre.co.uk/mobility-scooters/road-legal-mobility-scooters.html

Thank you for this, I genuinely couldn't tell if it would be one of those though.

---------- Post added 31-01-2017 at 11:13 ----------

101 is always a good call, not easy to drive safely chatting to a person in a vehicle next to you ;)

It was a quick passing comment out of the window, not a full blown conversation :P

I have noticed this lady a couple of times, she drives her mobility scooter in the road as though it is a car, this is through Whiston on the road that goes towards Worry Goose roundabout (Worry Goose lane I think). She "drives" at around 2mph but in a position on the road that you cannot get round her without performing a full over take. Today there was a person behind her that did not look confident to over take so we were literally crawling at 2mph with her holding about 20 cars up.

I drove passed at a reasonable speed and safe distance when it was my turn to pass but I wound my window down and asked "what's wrong with the pavement" she then started screaming swear words at me and making rude hand gestures, I realised then that perhaps she is mentally ill, she had a dressing gown on and the weather has been awful this morning.

Danny_Boy, did it have a number plate? If it did, its road legal, if not, its not road legal and she is breaking the law. Call the police. Im sure if a police man stopped her she might realise what she is doing is dangerous.

Generally speaking, a mobility scooter that goes approx 2mph is not for use on the road.

---------- Post added 31-01-2017 at 15:36 ----------

It needs to be an 8mph scooter to go on the road, not a 4mph one, but I cannot imagine a 4mph scooter could be illegal on a road?

All motorised vehicles on the roads HAVE to have a number plate.

"what's wrong with the pavement"

Obstructions. Lack of dropped curbs.

The road is for everyone. If someone wants to chug along it at 2mph in their dressing gown then live and let live.

Whether or not the thing needs a license plate is a legal formality and wouldn't be any more or less bother to you if it had one.