Mobility scooter woman Whiston.

Obstructions. Lack of dropped curbs.

The road is for everyone. If someone wants to chug along it at 2mph in their dressing gown then live and let live.

Whether or not the thing needs a license plate is a legal formality and wouldn't be any more or less bother to you if it had one.

I tend to agree with the live and let live, it did not impact my day too much at all. My main concern was how unsafe it was for her, no protection if a car was to strike her although her bright green dressing gown is quite visible.

Just never seen anything like it and there genuinely is a perfectly good pavement for her to travel on.

It doesn't need a number plate

No they don't.

Thats what I was told, but looking at some of the sites dedicated to scooters they seem to imply you don't need a number plate. However none explicitly state you don't need one to drive a class 3 on the road. This may be where the confusion comes from.

Why should the explicity state no?

You only need a licence plate if the law requires it. It doesn't require it for invalid carriages. Ergo none is needed.

My class three scooter actually had a log book (registration document) with a registration number on it. But it definitely did not have the number on a number plate, so you are right. I also had insurance for it, in case of an accident occuring while zipping around at 8mph.

Angel1.

Danny_Boy, did it have a number plate? If it did, its road legal, if not, its not road legal and she is breaking the law. Call the police. Im sure if a police man stopped her she might realise what she is doing is dangerous.

Generally speaking, a mobility scooter that goes approx 2mph is not for use on the road.

---------- Post added 31-01-2017 at 15:36 ----------

All motorised vehicles on the roads HAVE to have a number plate.

Number lates are NOT required for use on the road but a class 3 scooter has to be registered with the D.V.L.A. OTHER RULES FOR CLASS 3 ARE AS FOLLOWS.

. Rules for class 3 invalid carriages

Class 3 invalid carriages must have the following features:

a maximum unladen weight of 150kg

a maximum width of 0.85 metres

a device to limit its speed to 4mph

a maximum speed of 8mph

an efficient braking system

front and rear lights and reflectors

direction indicators able to operate as a hazard warning signal

an audible horn

a rear view mirror

an amber flashing light if it’s used on a dual carriageway