Possible to check divorce online?

natjack

Until around 1950s divorces were often reported in the local press often with all the gory details. It was not easy to get a divorce back then and considered very shameful. Costly too.

People's attitude was - you've made your bed - now lie on it, so many people women especially, would stick out an unhappy marriage.

Unfair as it was, the woman was looked down on and thought of as the scarlet woman even if the divorce was not her fault. Different for the man of course.

So does anyone actually know? Just trying to find out if I can check details online, as the search fee if you don't know, is quite high.

Marriage was in 70, divorce sometime between 75-79.

I would ring the GRO for advice.

Sheffield Archives may be able to advise you but unfortunately I do not think the details are available on line.

You could go to the courts and ask them for information. I am sure if you give them names and dates they will do a search for you. If you are not sure of the dates they will still do a search, but there will be a charge if you want a copy of the certificate.

Good luck