70 years old and fit

Your mind, attitude, outlook on life, no fags, very little booze all contribute to viewing yourself as being a lot younger than you actually are.

I have three 100 mile cycling events on my calendar this year and that's at 70 years of age.

I will have to train for those events, but most of all keep my mind strong and feel positive about those challenges !!

---------- Post added 08-02-2017 at 22:25 ----------

So what's your point? Are you looking for a certificate or something? You may have been lucky healthwise, you don't say how you maintained your fitness (or how you prove it). You just appear to be gloating to me, maybe think about people who are not so lucky.

You are wrong blackydog, blokes like us are proud of the fact that we think and act like we do at 70 ! No gloating and we do think about the unfortunates amongst us !

Little bit of luck in being healthy at 70, but most of all a case of having lived life in a good manner.

We don't have to prove anything !

Your mind, attitude, outlook on life, no fags, very little booze all contribute to viewing yourself as being a lot younger than you actually are.

I have three 100 mile cycling events on my calendar this year and that's at 70 years of age.

I will have to train for those events, but most of all keep my mind strong and feel positive about those challenges !!

You are wrong blackydog, blokes like us are proud of the fact that we think and act like we do at 70 ! No gloating and we do think about the unfortunates amongst us !

Little bit of luck in being healthy at 70, but most of all a case of having lived life in a good manner.

Hey, i'm no spring chicken at nearly 55. I just don't get the need for the OP. There must be many similar people, why post "I'm 70 and fit"??

It's not that special, bit like someone coming on and saying i've got 5 kids or an old biddy that takes every opportunity to bore anyone within earshot that she has 24 grandkids and can't wait to get the photos out, despite the fact the poor recipient is showing no interest whatsoever.

Not intending to offend the OP just think the post is a bit of self congratulation.

Our number three ranked tabletennis player here in Western Australia is 61 years old ( ranked No.2 in the world over 60's)

He moves like a cat and can get to nearly any ball.

I only ever see him eating healthy stuff though.

He has a large garden in the outer suburbs and grows most of what he eats.

I should add he exercises every day.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's great you take part in cycling events, and maintain your fitness. However, not having a limiting disability, an inherited condition, and/or severe chronic pain is very lucky. So many people couldn't possibly take part in demanding, competitive sports, but I believe as we age we should still do what we can to keep mind and body active.

Even going out for a walk beats sitting in front of the tv all day. Going swimming is great as it puts less strain on the joints, and there are fitness classes designed for the older person who is less fit. I know, I go to a couple!

Hey, i'm no spring chicken at nearly 55. I just don't get the need for the OP. There must be many similar people, why post "I'm 70 and fit"??

It's not that special, bit like someone coming on and saying i've got 5 kids or an old biddy that takes every opportunity to bore anyone within earshot that she has 24 grandkids and can't wait to get the photos out, despite the fact the poor recipient is showing no interest whatsoever.

Not intending to offend the OP just think the post is a bit of self congratulation.

It is special. The typical diet and lifestyle of much of the population is leaving them in terrible health, And it's getting worse- the problems are showing up at ever younger ages. Many 25 year olds are in far worse health than me (I'm 50).

It's established fact that the epidemics of obesity, type 2 diabetes and heart disease are primarily caused by bad diet and lifestyle.

I think it's great you take part in cycling events, and maintain your fitness. However, not having a limiting disability, an inherited condition, and/or severe chronic pain is very lucky. So many people couldn't possibly take part in demanding, competitive sports, but I believe as we age we should still do what we can to keep mind and body active.

Even going out for a walk beats sitting in front of the tv all day. Going swimming is great as it puts less strain on the joints, and there are fitness classes designed for the older person who is less fit. I know, I go to a couple!

Suppose I have been lucky, but a lifetime of sport participation, no smoking and very little alcohol has paid of. I have enjoyed being a miserable bugger !!