70 years old and fit

It is good that folk can feel well at this age but I don't see how they should be lauded for it as if they have achieved something marvellous. Often people don't have a choice in how well they age despite all the hype about fitness classes etc. IMHO these classes are more likely to help the old person's mental state as much as physical in that they offer companionship.

There is no doubt that morbidity/mortality is affected by social status/income. Those in the higher groups live longer and in better health - that is a proven fact. Some of it is also about luck and genetics. People who have had a long, hard and stressful working life are more likely to succumb to various diseases in old age.

Being fit in old age is great but do not suppose that those of us who are not are somehow at fault for not keeping fit or whatever. Mostly it is due to factors beyond our control, including occupation.

Edited by Jomie

Been doing the same early morning (6am) walk almost every morning to collect morning newspaper, summer/winter for the for over 25 years, approximately 1.75 miles in 33 minutes, works out at just over 3 miles per hour. Must admit I am slowing down a bit these days.

Last weeks pedometer graph

click here

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/26313/20170203-136z-205kb

Almost forgot to say I am 84 and that's not months

I am 70 years old and as fit as a 40 year old. Are there any one out there in the same position ?

My lovely Mum was the same - she used to virtually run everywhere - then, when she was 80, she was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease............

Edited by Daven

I am 72 and look so young I have to take my passport with me to pubs and shops to prove I am over 18.

On Monday, me and a few friends are going on a coach trip to climb Mount Everest for a day out.

We will be all right because one of them is an astronaut.

Does anyone know about resting heart rate decreasing with age?

My RHR is in the 40's which is no big deal for me but is it easier to achieve a lower RHR the older you get?

Not in my experience but then I take drugs to bring my heart rate down during exercise and have a pacemaker fitted to kick start it when it drops below a certain level.

If the op wants to see fit, older people in action he should come along to the Manchester Fencing Centre next month when we're holding a British Veterans Fencing competition (for 40 years and over) where there will be plenty of 70+ competitors.

There are also a lot of veteran fencers who compete, and hold their own, in national senior competitions against cadets, seniors and juniors.

Does anyone know about resting heart rate decreasing with age?

My RHR is in the 40's which is no big deal for me but is it easier to achieve a lower RHR the older you get?

Just going on the resting heart rate is useless really without having an ECG done to check the complexes. A heart rate of 40 may be fine but may also be a sign of some kind of heart block which interferes with the conduction system in the heart and which may need treatment.

Ask your GP to refer you for an ECG just to be on the safe side.

Regards

I am 72 and look so young I have to take my passport with me to pubs and shops to prove I am over 18.

On Monday, me and a few friends are going on a coach trip to climb Mount Everest for a day out.

We will be all right because one of them is an astronaut.

obviously the brain is ageing rather quickly.